Newbie tileing questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,im a total novice when it comes to D.I.Y but our kitchen tiles are badly in need of an upgrade to match our new kitchen,so i have to attempt the job and id quite like to give it ago.
Anyway like i said im a bit useless,so be gentle with me.

Right my problem is iv started takeing a few tiles off the kitchen with some useful tools i.e heavy duty grout remover tool,a hammer and a scraper to get behind the scrapper and praise away at the tile but the tiles are that old i think its takeing the top layer of plaster off as well,see my photo if you can confirm that the plaster has come off also,underneath is just a thin dusty layer of something,im presuming its the 1st coat of plaster and iv pulled the 2nd layer off with the tiles.

[url]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/andy000223/wall1.jpg

[url]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii269/andy000223/wall2.jpg

Can i tile on this wall or should i get it plastered before i attemp to tile?

Forgive me if the pics dont show as its my first post,but the picks are also in my profile.

if someone can advise me on whats best to do id be grateful.
many thanks Andrew

Sponsored Links
andy
by ur pics it looks like the skimm coat has come off..my eyes aint up 2 much 2nite lol just use a bolster an hammer.
BUT.....by ur pics it looks like u have fitted ur worktop before u have stripped the walls??....
when stripped depends on how much damage there is 2 walls.
1.u could infill with rapidset floor adeshive..."if walls not to bad"..
2.bonding plaster then finish plaster.
3.just a skimm.
if am right about w/top u may want to remove it so u dont damage it?

Thanks for your advice, you are correct we had the kitchen fitted first which was a bit stupid really and in hindsight i should of took the tiles off when the old kitchen came out but to late for that.

In the reply above it says i could fill with rapid set floor adhesive if walls ar'nt too bad. Is that all i would need to do?

or do i then have to put bonding plaster and finish plaster on after the above,and then just give it a skim?

Like i say im pretty hopeless,could you put down in order what i should do to make the wall good enough to tile on.

Many thanks Andrew..

andy
what to do is take ur w/top off as the tiles are behind it.
then just use a hammer an bolster and strip walls then post back pics of wall then we will take it from there bud.
best of ;)

oh wear good gloves dont want u stripping ur knuckles back either.. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
:D Thanks for your advice and will wear gloves.I will update once iv stripped all walls.

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back