Newbie with a manhole dilemma, please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just joined up and I'm seeking some sound advice on a manhole issue we have.

Our house is number 4 in a line of 6 properties in the sewer line, with 3 houses upstream from us.

Following a flood of "Black" water into our kitchen, it transpires they built and extension over a manhole cover and buried it under the floor. it does appear to be a double sealed type cover with 4 key holes and is screeded inside the manhole cover frame, but water did come out of it and we can't get the darn thing up as Cowboy and Co builders who did the extension back 10 yrs ago has screeded over the keyholes! We've only lived in the house 5 years and up to this point had no problems.

Here is my question....

According to Part H building regs, as its a private sewer of 6 houses, I don't actually need a manhole cover - as I can "Access" the sewer via both sides neighbours.

How do I seal the damn thing up so I never have to deal with raw sewage in my kitchen again and spend weeks with no kitchen and £1000's worth of damage.

Toyed with the idea of putting a new Insp chamber in our drive outside, but that's going to cost a lot-o-wedge that we don't currently have.

As its going downstream and has apparently only blocked 3 times in 15 years, the simplest and easiest option would be to cap it and forget it was ever there - but who does this, how? how much?

Our soil stack, gulley drain and kitchen sink goes into it currently.

I am in Hereford, UK

Any advice or contacts would be great!

Thanks for reading

Adam :( :(

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Just joined up and I'm seeking some sound advice on a manhole issue we have.

, gulley drain and kitchen sink goes into it currently.

Thanks for reading

Adam :( :(
then if you seal it succesfully - the water will come out the gulley instead :cry:

I'd be tempted to get someone in to take a look-see. Explore the options.
You could possibly just seal it up, but what happens when it's your drains that get blocked and you've not left yourself any rodding access.

You've only been there 5 years, think long term and don't stuff yourself now for the sake of a bit of longterm strategy.

Sponsored Links
According to Part H building regs, as its a private sewer of 6 houses, I don't actually need a manhole cover - as I can "Access" the sewer via both sides neighbours.

The fact that the builders left the manhole and fitted a sealed lid, would suggest that you do need it.

I'm not sure that I understand the problem though. Surely the issue is that the drains blocked in the first place, and if that did not happen then the fact that the manhole is where it is is irrelevant?

If the lid leaked, then it was not fitted properly, so again, sort that out and there is no problem

The lid frame should be firmly fixed to the manhole chamber with mortar, and then the frame greased before the lid dropped in and this forms the seal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back