Newel Post at the top of the stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Im replacing the newel post and ballusters at the top of my stairs.

The stairs go straight up to a landing which follows round to the right and back along the route of the stairs (id that makes sense to anyone)

The newel at the top is/was currently butchered in place by a variety of l brakcets (6 in total) around the post screwed into whatever happened to be ext to the post. The post is plonked on to of the floor joists which at that point are doubled up.

Now the current post wobbles a tad. And I was hoping that there was going to be the old newel post bellow the wobbly thinkg I removed where I could just drill and dowel with some monsterous dowel type thingy majig. But now I am not to keen to do this into the joists as I dont want to weaken them.

My intention is to use a either 10mm dowel pins glued into the joist and newel post and post glued ontop of joists also and a couphle of strategicaly placed screws

Or to use a 25mm hole saw and used some 25mm pipe glued in place to hold them together again with scews to hold all im place etc.

Would either of these be a god solution and or does anyone know what the best practice would be in this situation. As the total bodge I have removed was obviously the worst option lol.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Sponsored Links
Any chance of some pics or a digram maybe? ...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back