Newly fitted tiles falling off!!!

I should have said that when I set the tiles on they really grabbed and it was difficult at times to wiggle them into position. I had to remove a couple as I’d tapped them slightly low and I thought I was going to break the tile trying to lever it off.

I just wish there was an explanation as to what has happened.

Let’s see after a week and go from there.

Sponsored Links
OK, started going round to see how many tiles were actually loose by a gentle tap with a rubber handled scraper. The majority gave a fairly solid bump and others gave the hollow sound. So took those off, but came to one tile and it was solid one end but hollow at the other. It was difficult to remove but one end the adhesive had dried and the other it was still soft and crumbly. This tile was one of the first to be fitted with the adhesive troweled on the wall, so has had almost 4 days drying time.

I think it is the adhesive is not drying. I've rang Weber for advice and am awaiting a call back.

All other tiles had a nice solid bump to them so am not going to remove until I've spoken to Weber.

Dodgy adhesive then in all probability. A bad batch..

Just had a chat with Weber Technical and there probable conclusion was the adhesive not drying out due to temperature. Apparently the 5C on their instructions is for frost purposes and that there stated drying times are based on 20C. He advised buttering both the wall and the tile to get better adhesive and put a bit of heat in the room, but not excessive. The use of PVA was not considered a problem but only if the tiles were subjected to wet conditions. Finally he said use powder in future!! So why do they sell a ready mix..

The tiles which I have not removed still seem to be solid so I'm going to leave them, put on some heat and then re-set the fallen tiles buttering both the wall and tile.

Lets hope that works!!

Sponsored Links
You are working in your occupied house where the average heating appliance is often set at 20*- surely your temp is already well above 5*?
The Pva issue - so what, there are surely no wet walls in a WC compartment.
As I advised earlier, with the appropriate sized tile, you comb the wall and tight butter the tile.
Anyhow, thats how I was taught, and its worked well for me.

The WC is on our middle floor which is unoccupied and the rad has been taken off for the refurbishment. Temps were probably around 10C to 12C. That's what I said to him about the PVA as it's just a small loo.

Ah, so when you said comb the wall you meant applied the adhesive than trowelling it with a notched trowel. I thought you meant the new plaster surface I had done. I'm going to do this when I replace the fallen tiles.

Thanks.

Just over heard a conversation between a customer and his builder who was refurbishing their kitchen. He'd plastered walls and then tiled and the client was telling him a bit angrily that the tiles were falling off. The builder was telling him that the weather was too damp and cold to allow adhesive to dry.

So not alone then.

Had gentle heat on all day yesterday so hopefully adhesive is now fully dry.

The absolute best coating to apply before tiling if you have any doubts is a Mapei sealer. I am unsure about whether it would work where PVA has been (wrongly) applied but Mapei stuff is so good in my experience that it is worth a go. Choose a small area as a test, put on a couple of coats of Mapei allow to dry then put on a tile as per usual and leave for say 4 days. Then try to get the tile off with bare hands; if it pretty well stays put problem is solved. BTW get rid of the bottle of PVA it's uses are somewhat limited.

Been putting the fallen tiles back on over the last few days. Buttered the wall and then combed the tile with the same Weber ready mix and they seem to be holding well.

RH has now fallen to around 59% and I've put on some gentle heat to get the temp to around 14C.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the input guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back