Newly Plastered / Skimmed Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I live in an old terraced house and have recently had my walls skimmed in order to try and give it a new look inside with a perfect finish. However, after painting it, it isn't that perfect. I can now see some imperfections in the walls, like slight bumps, slight trowel marks etc. I have thought about lining it with top quality lining paper. Can anyone give me advice on this? Basically I want perfectly smooth walls and the best look possible.

Thanks Tom

Sponsored Links
Decorators merchants sell fine surface filler which is good for sorting minor imperfections. Better than the crappy cheap "multi-purpose" fillers sold by Q&B and the likes.

TommyLad said:
Hi

I live in an old terraced house and have recently had my walls skimmed in order to try and give it a new look inside with a perfect finish. However, after painting it, it isn't that perfect. I can now see some imperfections in the walls, like slight bumps, slight trowel marks etc. I have thought about lining it with top quality lining paper. Can anyone give me advice on this? Basically I want perfectly smooth walls and the best look possible.

Thanks Tom

Pity you didnt post this before you actually started on your walls.

New plaster always looks lovely in the daylight and before you put the paint on.
Its after you do your miscoat is when you see the imperfections, and wait till the evening and turn on your lights, thats when you see it all in its glory.

Then after your miscoat, you would fill these imperfections, trowel marks, sand down when dry, dab some diluted paint on the filler a couple of times them roll as normal.

I have only come across a new plastered ceiling once that was practically perfect, just in one corner there was a small trowel marks, but every new plastered and walls I have always had to make good, some a lot more than others.

I've 200m2 of newly plastered walls in my flat and my plasterer recommended Gyproc Easi-Fill

http://www.british-gypsum.bpb.com/p...ries/gyproc_accessories/gyproc_easi-fill.aspx

I'm yet to apply my mist coat to my newly plastered walls so I will see how I get on.

The other tool you may find useful is a Swivel Pole Sander Head

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/r/RODSPSH/

I've used one of these before and intend to use it again on my new walls. I just put a very fine 250grit sand paper on and give the whole wall a light and quick skim over and a wipe down.

It's a great tool, I dont spend more than an hour in each room but it helps to ensure the corners are smooth and flat. Also, any bits of plaster that may have found there way onto the wall are swiped off.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist :rolleyes: , the modern look requires a much higher standard of finish.

P.s. dont go down the lining route much better to bite the bullet and fill the imperfections and give it another coat of paint. You may take a day to get it spot on but better that than spending the rest of your time wishing you had ......

Sponsored Links
I just cannot get on with those swivel sanders, the last time I used one, it was swivelling all over the place, in the end I carried on sanding by hand.

I always sand by hand, but for the first time in approx 3 years I have had to use my electric sander on a job, forgot how much less work it makes. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back