newly skimmed painted walls cracks appearing everywhere!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having had all 3 bedrooms reskimmed by a plasterer then walls prepared sanded mistcoated & topcoats applied myself 2/3 months down the line cracks are appearing everywhere! much to my despair..from which i am messing about months after i thought i had finished sanding filling priming topcoating yet again :( can you guys tell me why this could be occuring and the method you normally use to repair the cracks besides the way im doing it cheers very frustrating tbh :cry:

Sponsored Links
They are just settlement cracks and are very common, although they tend to occur more after rendering and skimming rather than just skimming. Unfortunately it's just one of those things.
The best thing to do is leave them for a few months to make sure they don't widen and no more appear, then use a good quality fine surface filler which can be pressed firmly into them. You might need to slightly widen some cracks by running a stanley blade along them to allow the filler to be pressed in.
You then have the fun of repainting! :eek:

alright dec...the cracks are appearing mainly in the skim/plasterwork but a little in the paintwork also..flaking etc..the plaster cracks are quite widespread so i have sanded them filled them with readymixed filler sanded off...from which i intend to mistcoat over them then topcoat again :( as my carpets arent down yet this is what im prepared to do for although patience is wearing thin now,but as misterhelpfull says maybe better to leave them settle for a few months from now on as im going around in circles :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If it's crazing your plaster in knackered. The walls haven't been prepped properly and the moisture in the plaster mix has been sucked out leaving a residue to crack and craze. This shouldn't happen if the job has been done correctly. It'll all come off sooner or later. A photo would be handy.

I think Joe is spot on there and you need to get that spread back, sounds like he's made a botch of this.

Dec

I'd agree with our Joe,, and here's a helpful tip. If you run the back of your fingernails all over the wall, you'll hear if any, or all of the plaster skim is hollow underneath. No hope of repair if it is,,, bad prep!!! Needs to be done again unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back