News today - CWI disasters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I must admit I had absolutely no idea that so many home owners were having such problems with cavity wall insulation, with it seems some of the worst problems in Blackpool. It seems the CWI installers just blew insulation in, without bothering to check or clean out the cavities first. Many of the cavities in Blackpool being filled with sand - seems a bit odd, despite there being a lot of sand around Blackpool.

I can understand damp tracking across a cavity where there is sand, but surely that will only be a problem close to the ground and would not affect the first floor?

My home is on a concrete raft foundation and the cavities and wall ties were all inspected and cleared out in the early 80's, CWI was then installed around 1995-ish, by I think the very same company and I have had no such problems.

It seems the CWI company has now ceased trading.

Sponsored Links
Harry Bloomfield, good evening.

I skimmed the news feed from the Beeb as I recall several hundred thousand damaged properties as a direct result of bodged CWI with no prospect of repair to the resultant damage, which includes [in severe cases] the owner being forced to vacate the property

As for sand etc, closing the cavities, the ones I have seen tend to be half bricks dropped into the cavities, or massive build up of mortar on the wall ties

Not to worry the government will closely monitor the contractors and installation process ????????????

OK Guys, get the blower van out time to make money again????

I was listening to that on the radio. There was much talk about 'cowboy builders' installing it the wrong way, most of the complaints I heard were Blackpool, Wales, Somerset.

What they didn't mention is that a map now exists showing where cavity insulation should not be fitted, the map basically covers the entire west coast of Britain.

This is because of more rainfall and driving rain in particular, which causes penetrating damp and the insulation acts as a bridge.

We've lived in Victorian houses, 30's houses, all with solid 9" walls, we currently live in a 70's cavity wall house and it's definitely the coldest house we've ever lived in. We're quite elevated and catch the wind, maybe that puts a chill factor on the house, I can't help feeling we'd be better off with an air gap rather than insulation.

Sponsored Links
it’s rife in our area, west wales . i’ve had loads of remedial work off the back of it.
who in their right mind believes that ramming wool into a cavity wall is a good idea.:LOL:

What they didn't mention is that a map now exists showing where cavity insulation should not be fitted, the map basically covers the entire west coast of Britain

CWI is risky in any exposed location, esp West coast as you say.

There are now full fill Celetex insulation options for new build -makes me nervous TBH. Cavities are there for a purpose.

that a map now exists showing where cavity insulation should not be fitted,

I can clearly recall such a map in existence well over 20 years ago?? and it is the same map that is out there today. it takes into account wind exposure, rain fall and elevation

OK if all the "protocols" required are undertaken such as a FULL BORESCOPE SURVEY is completed of all areas of the target wall + look at the map [as above] then make a call on what can / should be done, up to and including cavity width porosity of the external skin.

But when you get the un-regulated "cowboys" involved all hell breaks loose.

At one time there were hundreds of adverts on the technical building web sites asking for "Cavity Wall Surveyors" the kicker came with the proviso in the Ad that there was "no experience necessary"

A clear example of a totally un-regulated area of construction, which is about to begin all over again.

Ken

Last edited:
its one big scam. companies in the pockets of local authorities . seen it going on for years and years. from new kitchens to boilers and cwi.
the latest nonsense is ewi .

it’s rife in our area, west wales . i’ve had loads of remedial work off the back of it.
who in their right mind believes that ramming wool into a cavity wall is a good idea.:LOL:

Benny, you do realise you're meant to separate the wool from the sheep before filling the cavity.(y)

I can clearly recall such a map in existence well over 20 years ago?? and it is the same map that is out there today. it takes into account wind exposure, rain fall and elevation

OK if all the "protocols" required are undertaken such as a FULL BORESCOPE SURVEY is completed of all areas of the target wall + look at the map [as above] then make a call on what can / should be done, up to and including cavity width porosity of the external skin.

But when you get the un-regulated "cowboys" involved all hell breaks loose.

At one time there were hundreds of adverts on the technical building web sites asking for "Cavity Wall Surveyors" the kicker came with the proviso in the Ad that there was "no experience necessary"

A clear example of a totally un-regulated area of construction, which is about to begin all over again.

Ken
i clearly remember the ‘surveyors’ turning up in houses i was working on in the 90s and giving the ok! drill a hole and stick the boroscope in. coastal properties actually subject to driving rain and wind . unbelieveable.

So that was where that smell was coming from in the last badly damaged property I surveyed in on top of that hill in the Cairngorms

its one big scam. companies in the pockets of local authorities . seen it going on for years and years. from new kitchens to boilers and cwi.
the latest nonsense is ewi .

I saw an advert last night for Wren kitchens, they have no presence in my part of the world but I've seen their product and I would say they're OK, no more than that.
Anyway, they showed a reasonable kitchen, nothing special and said 'all this can be yours on 7 years interest free credit at only £192 a month', I did a quick tot up on the calculator and arrived at £16K, **** me.

I saw an advert last night for Wren kitchens, they have no presence in my part of the world but I've seen their product and I would say they're OK, no more than that.
Anyway, they showed a reasonable kitchen, nothing special and said 'all this can be yours on 7 years interest free credit at only £192 a month', I did a quick tot up on the calculator and arrived at £16K, **** me.
will have to look out for the advert, see what a 16k wren kitchen looks like. i’m fitting a benchmarx at the mo.

Sponsored Links
Back