newSATA DVD Rom into an IDE PC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My aging PC needs a new DVD Writer and its an IDE connection, However all the drives available now (in the UK anyway) seem to be SATA connections. I have seen adaptor connection things available that seem simply convert an IDE connection to a SATA connection.....my question is do these converter "things" work well with no drawback or quality of writing etc etc......

Sponsored Links
If they all look like the one in the picture, I'd be impressed if they work at all. Don't bother with those things.

You can get drives on ebay easily enough: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360481776685

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have used one of those type of convertors and it seemed to work just fine.

The one I used needed it's own power supply, easy enough to plug in a spare molex. Also note, the two SATA connections are specific. One for when the host is SATA, another when the host is IDE such as an old IDE motherboard. So do the connections carefully if you use one.

In my case I used one to hook up a SATA hard drive (A spare I had lying around) to an old IDE motherboard. It was a cheap enough fix.

In your case getting a used IDE drive as a replacement is what I would do as there seem to plenty around as people scrap old PC's with otherwise perfectly decent drives in them.

Sponsored Links
+2 for the convertor, I've used one for ages with no problems. To be fair it wasn't a cheap one from Hong Kong.

Back