Next door neighbour infringing on privacy with decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello DIY'ers and fellow victims of DIY'ers. My neighbours have built this decking area in the last two weeks . It appears to be higher than allowed. I am in the flat to the left of the photo. I've reported it to the council...still waiting to hear back.
Can anyone please tell me if this contravenes planning law?
thumbnail_IMG_2119.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2122.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2121.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2120.jpg

Sponsored Links
at a guess, about 3 feet at least - it's level with the top of the table on the patio - or even higher

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I was just about to edit my post. It's actually about 6 feet high at the top part. It appears to be over 50% of the garden too

You're not answering the question, to be permitted, that is not requiring planning permission, it can be no higher than 300mm above the highest bit of ground anywhere beneath it? The 50% rule also includes area from any front garden too.

Alastairreid, you hit the nail on the head there . He has lived there now for 8 months and I always had a bad feeling that something like this would happen.
I feel worried as to what may happen next. The sheer audacity of what he has done - As if he doesn't really give a toss about neighbours either side. A bit scary...
I'm still waiting for the council to email me, they said up to ten working days before they reply .
Will post an update when I hear from them.

Does Tommy Lee live there? That deck looks suspiciously like his drum riser from the Motley Crue concert I went to back in the 80s! Say hi to Pam for me!
Oh, and put pigeon spikes along your boundary fence to stop them perching on it?
Some people! They probably have a caravan on public land too...
Good luck!

can we try a different tack here to get an answer
iff you go up your garden to the furthest away from the house point and drop a tape down there side on the back edge off the decking to the top off the fence discreetly do the same your side and the difference should give you a rough idea off actual difference
iff near to and just above 300mm you need more accurate measurements and take more note off deviation in height side to side as well as back to front?

ok looking again at the photos your house/flat seems to be stepped down about 3ft so my idea above is not applicable

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back