Next doors mains cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move the mains cable that runs across our property to feed next door. At the moment it connects to our gable wall and then runs along the facia board at the back of the building but it is going to be in the way of a new rear extension. I am proposing to bury it in ducting from the pole on one boundry along the back of the house to the part line where the local electricty board will then take it back up the wall and re-connect it to the cable on the neibours facia. My question is at what level should the ducting interscet the new footings. Options as I see it.
1.Go along at the required depth then dive down to go under the footings.
2. Just keep going at the same depth and pour the footings around the duct.
3.Sit on top of the footings and then be briged by a couple of short lintels in the first course of blockwork.

TIA Cy.

Sponsored Links
You need to speak to the electricity board (DNO) and find out what they want to do with it.

It's neither yours or your next doors cable, it is the property of the DNO! Dont do anything with it, there is every chance it is not even fused, and if it is you will go pop way before the fuse does!!!

Sponsored Links
Indeed.
The only people who can and will move the supply cable is the electricity supply company.

This involves working with the cable with the supply still switched on. It is dangerous and skilled work. It will not be cheap.

Guys, thanks for you replies and concern. I have no intention of touching any cables. I have been tasked, by the local electricty board with laying the ducting ( they are suppling) from the pole to the party line. No costs involved as I am allowing them to take their supply across my land to feed next door. Sorry for the confusion. I was just curious as to what was the prefered method of crossing the footings. Maybe its a question I should direct at my local building control dept.

Cheers. Cy

I was just curious as to what was the prefered method of crossing the footings. Maybe its a question I should direct at my local building control dept.
And at the DNO, as the route is for them.

If you can avoid crossing the footings altogether that would be best, otherwise that means that the cable will be running under a building, which could be very awkward if it ever goes wrong and needs digging up....

The DNO have been out to visit and didn't seem that concerned as to the route just as long as it conformed to building regs. Which is why i decided to ask the question here in the hope that somebody had previous experience or knew the correct building regs. I thought the bit in the original post that said "local electricty board will then take it back up the wall and re-connect it" miight have sufficient to show that I was not going to go it alone. As for who the cable belongs too and how much it would cost wasn't really what I aked.
Thanks for taking the time to respond, but if you don't know the answer to the original question then it's not much help.

So, lets just say I can't avoid crossing the footings (yes I know the footings are positioned under the building) does anyone know best practice as to building regs.

Regards Cy.

1.Go along at the required depth then dive down to go under the footings.
No, since this will result in a significant change in the level for the duct, which will make drawing the cable in far more difficult.
Digging to a depth below the footings and then filling in again will inevitably result in some settlement when the building is constructed above, which will probably crush the ducting.

2. Just keep going at the same depth and pour the footings around the duct.
No good either, since any movement will damage the ducting.

3.Sit on top of the footings and then be briged by a couple of short lintels in the first course of blockwork.
Sort of, although the duct should remain at the same level so might not be in the blockwork.
Support above the duct will be required to avoid damage. Same principle as if the excavations for the concrete revealed a drain or other service in there which had to remain.

Aim for .45m below finished level clear of the footings (our minimum depth) I 've seen all of the above, if it goes faulty it is the DNO's problem, but the type of duct we use rarely just collapses.

Thanks guys, that is far more helpful.

Cheers, Cy.

edit; by " in the fist course of blockwork" I actually meant before the first course. Not actually in the blockwork and if .45m or lower corresponds with the finished hieght of the footings then that would work out just fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back