Main supply cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya

Just a qucik question
Main supply cable from the electric board (or who ever it is now)
This is fixed to my facia only on one side of the house though, am replacing it so need to take it off and put it back.
:confused:
I assume it,s safe to do this myself as it,s only held on by clips that nail to the facia and if i take them out caferully (i,m not going to yank them out with a mains cable on them anyway) i can reuse them.
Is this a very bad idea as at a guess the electric company want hundreds for this simple job.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
what condition is the cable in?

are you likelly to damage it?, touch any exposed metal? flex the conductors inside?

how far are you going to 'move' it?

these questions have a bearing. personally if i was happy i wasnt going to cause any damage and there was no chance of excessivelly moving it then i would do it but it all depends. i would never recommend doing it though.

if the cable is modern plastic insulated and in good condition then i can't see a problem.

if its old lead and paper insulation (usually covered with tar a steel coil and a fabric sheath) then i wouldn't touch it.

Hi
thanks for your reply
i,m only taking it down and putting it back up again so it will hang for the time it takes me to take off old facia and put new pvc up max say 2 hours
it just conects to the facia and runs across one side and then down the wall at the other end

as for the covering how do i tell them apart have not looked to closely but it,s black and i,d say it looks like a plastic covering like in normal house wiring :oops: sorry i know not much help
i know it,s about 30 years old at a guess if thats any help

thanks again
martin

Sponsored Links
another thing if its running overhead, make sure it isn't left hanging dangerously low over the road while you are doing your work.

You might like to ask your supplier what it would cost. It might not be a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back