NIC or Elecsa (or other)??

Sponsored Links
I quite like to join the one show with Adrian Chiles on an evening.

Much of a muchness really....i started with NIC but had a few problems with customer service a couple of years back so left and registered with ELECSA.
Was with them but found they passed me pillar to post on some questions when the 17th came in,NIC have got together a good crew now (fingers crossed) and the company i sub for are with them and no problem`s have arose in some month`s now.

Sponsored Links
I'm with the NIC DI scheme, to date their admin has been awful. Had 6 sets of certs 'lost in the post' thats both the customer copies and the BCO copies, one cert maybe but 6 sets......... :mad: but soon as I call to complain they arrive within a couple of days. Which is a pain when the customers holding final payment waiting on his cert !

Also took em 3 attempts to send me a complete set of pocket guides ! :rolleyes:

If they don't improve I may look elsewhere at renewal time........ that said most people ask if I'm NIC off the bat and don't seem to know of the others (ECA, Elecsa, Napit etc)

I agree with that. Many people think that the NICEIC is the only one. Also, people often ask me 'are you NICEIC registered?'. No one has ever asked me if I'm ELECSA registered, or anything else.

Plus the logo looks good on paperwork etc.

So that's why I chose NICEIC. I couldn't see any real difference otherwise.

I am with NAPIT and have found their tech help desk and admin very good.

Only negative is (like others) they aren't the "known" brand.

I like their requirement for 2391 for Full Scope membership.

I am with NAPIT i like their requirement for 2391 for Full Scope membership.

not quite sure where this requirement fits in, i know of 2 local guys who both joined napit, and neither have 17th or 2391 and yet are full scope?
they both did a one week course with a training centre (lomax) and then joined napit

That's why I said you needed 2391 for full scope membership

Your local guys have gone for the limited scope membership. They have 12 months to get their 17th edition cert and can only do specified electrical work.

See below from NAPIT website:

Full Scope Scheme
To join the Full Scope Scheme (Level A) for Competent Electricians working in dwellings you need:

1.Either a, b or c
a.An electricians qualification or
b.The NAPIT Certificate of Competence NA-A1A5 (available through the network of NAPIT training and assessment centres) and
c. An interim site technical assessment which can be carried out by one of NAPIT's Area Officers.*
AND
2.A current BS7671:2001 qualification such as NA2381 or C&G 2381, or an interim on site technical assessment.*
AND
3.A current Inspection and Testing Certificate to BS7671:2001 (C&G 2391 or C&G 2400) or an interim on site technical assessment.*
AND
4.£2m of Public Liability Insurance
AND
5.Relevant Publications - BS7671:2001 which costs £49 and the On-Site Guide which costs £17 (both available from the IEE, Tel: 01438 767328). You will also need a Memorandum of Guidance on the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 which costs £4 from the HSE, Tel: 01787 881165, and the Approved Document for Part P which can be downloaded for free via the NAPIT website.
AND
6.A full set of Test Instruments

Defined Scope Scheme
The defined scope scheme (Level B) covers New Circuits, and adding to Existing Circuits. It is aimed at non-electricians working in dwellings who need to carry out electrical work as part of the normal jobs. Forthe NAPIT Defined Scope Scheme you need:

1.Both a and b
a.An appropriate Certificate of Competence such as the NAPIT Certificate NA-L1L4 or the EAL Domestic Installers qualification and
b.An interim on site technical assessment which can be carried out by one of NAPIT's Regional Officers.*
AND
2.A current BS7671:2001 qualification such as NA-2381 or 2381, or an interim onsite technical assessment*
AND
3.£2m of Public Liability Insurance
AND
4.Relevant Publications - BS7671:2001 which costs £49 available from the IEE, Tel: 01438 767328). You will also need a Memorandum of Guidance on the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 which costs £4 from the HSE, Tel: 01787 881165, and the Approved Document for Part P which can be downloaded for free from the NAPIT website.
AND
5.A full set of Test Instruments
* After the interim site technical assessment, you then have 12 months to gain an appropriate qualification.

For Full Scope you can carry out all work in Domestic, Commercial & an Industrial environment as well as Periodic reports at no extra cost.

I beleive that with Defined Scope you can carry out work you have been assessed for that you carry out as part of your main trade. E.g. a Gas fitter, fitting a boiler and carrying out the electrical supply to the boiler.

I've always been with ELECSA and have found everything very simple with them.

But, having said that, my bread and butter these days is commercial work, so membership of a competant persons scheme is purely to comply with the legislation concerning electrical work in dwellings.

I do get the old 'are you NIC-EIC' thing, but when you tell them there is more than one and produce your Approved Contractor's card any worries normally melt away.

I haven't got much experience of NICEIC, but what I do know they do have a slightly different take on the regs, a prime example being the maximum impedance of an earth rod in a TT system, they say 100, regs say 200, who to trust?

There's nothing wrong with an industry/trade association having higher standards for the work done by its members than the bare regulatory minima...

im with NAPIT. the reason ? they were the only provider that didnt have a ' we are doing you a favour' attitude when i was talking to the sales .
but im sure most are the same once your a member depending on how much you need the helplines ect.
i also have this link from builing control with some stats for the providers ( link at bottom of page in excel file.)
http://www.communities.gov.uk/plann...ulations/competentpersonsschemes/cpsstatsinfo

I copied the info right off NAPIT's website and posted it as above.

I'll have speaks with them - I had understood, and the website confirms, they would need 2391/2400-02 within 12 months. I'd hate them to dumb down the entry level as it upsets those of us who have made the effort...

actually sorry my mistake, after reading there requirements The NAPIT Certificate of Competence NA-A1A5 fulfils the requirements apparently

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back