NIC PIR Certs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed the NIC have added a new item on their 17th EIC & PIR cert, "Verification Of Volt Drop"

Before I call them, does anyone know how we are supposed to test or inspect that when carrying out a PIR?

Sponsored Links
It's on the schedule of items tested on the forms I use (Tysoft EasyCert), not the actual EIC or PIR.

612.14 gives two methods:

Measuring a circuits impedance or checking design criteria (yeah right!).

R1 + R2 will give the volt drop. If we take a 2.5mm (1.5mm earth) radial at 20 amp we know the limit is 32 meters and the R1 + R2 will have a maximum of 0.75 ohms so I would think doing the calculation and verifying on the form makes sense. Rather easy to produce a chart and so easy for someone latter to show you got it wrong one would be silly not to ensure it passes.
Problem is with Zs as so easy to get parallel earths which mess up the reading we all know often Zs - Ze does not equal R1 + R2 it should I know but very rare that it does and with that in mind will Zs - Ze be accepted?
Eric

Sponsored Links
I'm not suggesting anything :D However, some testers give a measurement of Voltage when measuring Zs.

The circuit may not be under load conditions at the time so how could the voltage reading be relevant to volt-drop?
It would be interesting standing in a running shower, cover off (shower cap on - pink one) and £600 tester hooked up to the supply terminals :eek:

Back to 525.1 - ....under normal service conditions....

For an immersion heater I can see how you can turn it on and measure voltage but I can’t see how you can do that with a selection of sockets with variable load.
I use excel on my PDA but how many electricians carry a PDA or laptop. And although easy to calculate once excel has been set up I would not want to work it out on the back of a fag packet.
I suppose the point is design and installation are separate and although as an electrician we are trained to install should we also be doing the design? And I remember as set of houses that the installation was carefully designed and half way through the builder changed from beams with knock outs for wires and pipes to plain wood beams so 1/3 rule came in and three houses were completed before anyone realised as a result with too much cable in each ring.
A full set of meters is now regarded as tools of the trade maybe now a PC is a necessary tool of the trade as well?
Eric

Am I right in thinking that without knowing Ib for every circuit, for an installation with single or multiple submains feeding the final sub circuits it's impossible to either measure or calculate in accordance with 612.14 (i) (ii)?

How do you think a tester tests Zs?

As it's not normally required during Initial Verification, the assumption is that the Design has been worked out accordingly.

So we move onto PIRs. In the absence of accurate design diagrams to refer to, what can you do?

Measuring the circuit impedance might help to verify design figures, if they are available. But they would give you a good indication if measured correctly.

But neither BS7671 nor GN3 offers much in the way of this.

Am I right in thinking that without knowing Ib for every circuit, for an installation with single or multiple submains feeding the final sub circuits it's impossible to either measure or calculate in accordance with 612.14 (i) (ii)?

Surely you're not suggesting that accurate diagrams are not available?

I hope the NIC don't want to see a graph attached to the PIR showing maximum cable length v current for different conductor cross-sectional areas with different percentage volt drops for specific nominal voltages, conductor temperatures and wiring systems for every circuit :eek: :LOL:

The circuit may not be under load conditions at the time so how could the voltage reading be relevant to volt-drop?
It would be interesting standing in a running shower, cover off (shower cap on - pink one) and £600 tester hooked up to the supply terminals :eek:

Back to 525.1 - ....under normal service conditions....

525.1 also states that you must have the product standard relevant to the equipment. That's before you even get to thinking about normal service conditions.

By the way, hands up those who think Zs tests are 'very' accurate? Testing in general is not a fine science. Tolerance of test equipment alone would surprise many. Add in the effects of varying/dirty mains and it's not hard to see that live testing might be considered by some to be nothing more than a reasonable indication. But that's what we have to play with.

I hope the NIC don't want to see a graph attached to the PIR showing maximum cable length v current for different conductor cross-sectional areas with different percentage volt drops for specific nominal voltages, conductor temperatures and wiring systems for every circuit :eek: :LOL:

I think even the NIC won't be going that far. Then again, maybe they've produced something in their (sorry the ESC) Technical Manual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back