night storage heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help please
my brothers night storage heater doesnt work and there isnt a time switch so that i can turn the power on for it in the day so i can test if the power is going through the heater etc....
there is the radio transmitter for the economy 7 near the c/u but i cant find any test switch...
theres probably an easy way and i dont fancy going round late at night
hope this makes sense

Sponsored Links
Turn the power off first (don't assume that the timer is correct). Take the heater front panel off (usually two screws at the bottom). Look at the workings of the controls and see if there's a small button that can be pushed in to reset the thermal cutout. This is usually the problem.

Otherwise use a multimeter to check continuity of the fuse, the elements and the circuit going back to the off peak board.

Turn the power off first (don't assume that the timer is correct). Take the heater front panel off (usually two screws at the bottom). Look at the workings of the controls and see if there's a small button that can be pushed in to reset the thermal cutout. This is usually the problem.

Otherwise use a multimeter to check continuity of the fuse, the elements and the circuit going back to the off peak board.

If you feel you are competant to do so !

nd i dont fancy going round late at night

Is he a werewolf or something??

Seriously, if you want to check the power, connect a simple table lamp up to the feed at the storage rad and ask him to tell you if it comes on at cheap rate times.

Sponsored Links
thanks for help.. the switched fused spur has a neon on it that does come on so i will look for the thermal cut out switch first thanks

Un-wire the flex from the storage heater and replace with a plug, plug it into an extension lead fed from the 24/7 supply, and wait....

Happy days :)

If it's an older model(still a lot around)the thermal was a meltable link.with cover off look at the top of heater it should look like a grey/silver fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back