Night storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know how to calculate heater sizes? In this instance it is for a new build. There are loads of calculators online for rad sizing, but cant seem to find one for night storage heaters, or is there a way or calculation to apply the btu requirement to storage heaters? I havent done any storage heaters in years and cant remember exactly how they were sized, i think i had either the manufacturer or the wholesalers did it, either way, someone worked it out and I would like to know how.

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
There are loads of calculators online for rad sizing, but cant seem to find one for night storage heaters
Maybe because using electricity for space heating is so unpopular that insufficient people do it to make calculators worthwhile?

Sponsored Links
You can use the ones for radiators - modern radiators and the calculators provided by radiator manufacturers use watts/kW anyway, so no need to convert anything.

Be careful with storage heaters. A kW rating will indicate how much energy is being stored when it's taking a full charge, but this rate will be over a short period during the low tarriff rate (7-10 hrs in every 24). That heat will then be emitted over the whole day.

In addition during the charging period, the heating element will be switched on and off by the heater's internal thermostat when the internal bricks are at the temperature selected by the 'input' control, in this case the 3kW would not apply to the entire charging period.

There's a table here to assist with sizing.

thanks stem, i found that table, albeit on another site but thought it to be a little bit unscientific, hence asking here.

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back