Storage or convector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

Storage heaters or Convector Heaters?

2nd floor 2 bedroom flat with concrete floors. We have the choice of storage or convector. ich is the better option and why?
We've done the BTU calculations and know what size but I'm at a loss as to which option is best.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd NEVER, EVER have storage heaters again.

I used to live in a house that had them and boy, what a stupid idea they are!

Basically they consume their energy overnight (on an economy 7 setup) and release their heat throughout the day. They heat up bricks inside and you control the output by way of flappy things that either lets warm air rise out of vents or doesn't let warm air rise out.

They problem with them is that the heat isn't instant, or even quick so if you get caught out by a cold snap you can't just switch them on and feel the benefit within a small space of time. Also, once heated up, you can't switch them off so again, if you get caught out by a warm spell you'll roast in your own home. OK, so you can control the heat output slightly but even if you prevent the warm air rising out of the vents, the heater is still hot and still gives off heat. This also means that you're wasting vast amounts of energy in unwanted heat.

Oh, they're also really bulky.

Convector will give a reasonably quick heat output but may not be beneficial for an Economy 7 setup so you'll be drawing more of your electricity during peak hours.

Depending on the type of convector it is likely to be less bulky than storage.

Can you not opt for slim panel electric radiators on individual timers? Might be a bit better.

Fred

Storage heaters are cheaper in the long run, but have an initial higher outlay because you have to get dual rate lectric metering installed, and the storage is the most costly thing about the heaters.

Do you have the space / permission to mount a compressor on the wall outside? Heat pumps can be 400% efficient*, they work like air conditioners in reverse (and look like air conditioners too, and they can also cool!). Would need a service contract though, they need maintenance. B&Q sell them in summer.

*this means for every kw the unit consumes, it outputs 4kw of heat into the room.

I suspect it's a newbuild flat and these are the spec options so guess a reverse cycle conditioner is probably out of the question. I didn't realise they were so efficient though - I always thought they cost a fortune to run.

On the subject of dual rate metering - I suspect this will be installed as standard if storage heaters are an option.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Crafty & Fred

No option for a compressor on the outside wall.

There is already economy 7 metering in place but I think for the reasons you say it looks like storage heaters as a preference for control if I read you right.

I have my eye on some with thermal cut off and timers.

Any other opinions I can consider?

Desie said:
Thanks Crafty & Fred

No option for a compressor on the outside wall.

There is already economy 7 metering in place but I think for the reasons you say it looks like storage heaters as a preference for control if I read you right.

I have my eye on some with thermal cut off and timers.

Any other opinions I can consider?

No no no! I always found that storage heaters were impossible to control because once they've stored the heat it's quite simply got to come out, it's only the rate at which the heat comes out that's controllable.

My preference of the two would be convector but would prefer slim electric radiators over both.

you can get storage heaters with built in convector heating.. i'm sure you can cos i've had to wire for them before.. one fused spur for the storage and a second for the convector part..

this one for example

best of both worlds.. switch off the storage in the summer and use the convector if it gets a bit chilly fast, or use it in the cold winter to top up the heat from the storage if you have used it all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back