No cold water Upstairs ONLY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a 2 bed semi-detached house. Im a female living alone and im having plumbing problems.

Cold and Hot work fine in kitchen.

Hot in bathroom, en-suite and shower work fine.

No cold water in taps in bathroom, en-suite, shower or even in the toilet cistern?

Whats going on?

Been in loft, tanks are full of water, checked stop cock thingy, thats fine, not sure what i need to do?

Any help would be appriciated as i only have one toilet!

:confused:

Sponsored Links
If you havnt had any work done involving the water, then something from the cold tank may have blocked the inlet to the pipe. Are you certain no taps have been turned off from the water tank. Could be an airlock, but if nothing has been touched.

no work done at all, no one been in loft except me? i guess its a blockage of some kind....how can i fix that?
:?:

Sponsored Links
you say the cold tank is full of water and you have not touched any valves to shut them off, e.g. to change a washer

Have another look in the cold tank for any traces of feathers or grime. You are looking for a drowned mouse or sparrow in the water outlet. Poke a bit of wire down the pipe and see if there is any sign of a blockage.

If the cold tank does not have a lid these things are more common.

Can you remember if this happened after running a deep bath, or a long shower, leaving a tap running, two people using bathrooms at the same time, or having the water cut off (which might have led to the tank being empty and so an air lock)?

Have you got a garden hose? And are your bathroom basin taps single or mixer? And you kitchen sink taps? Have you got a garden tap you can screw a hose onto?

If it is an air lock, sometimes they fix themselves if there is e.g. an WC cistern ball valve open to let water dribble through overnight. Look to see if there are any drops of water at all coming through.

Also have a look for a shut-off valve on the pipe that comes out of the bottom of the cold tank (though if it hasn't been touched there's no reason it should have gone wrong). Is there a solid brick wall between your loft and the loft next door?

OK I SOLVED IT!

WENT IN LOFT, SEARCHED FOR BLOCKAGE, NOTHING....

SO GOT VACUM STUCK IT TO EACH TAP AND IT WORKED, SO MUST HAVE BEEN AN AIR BLOCKAGE
ALTHOUGH HEHE I DIDNT HAVE A WET N DRY HOOVER, ITS KINDA WET, LETTING IT DRY OFF NOW, BUT HEY ITS OLD AND IT DONE THE JOB!

THANKS FOR ALL UR HELP!

:LOL:

Thats an origional fix lads always used to sook on a tap ,not being sexist but only a woman could come up with that idea .Good one though ,mind you the hoovers knackered and lucky she aint got hair like a bad perm . :LOL:

Many thanks, had the exact same problem. Used my wet &dry vacuum cleaner, it worked a treat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back