no earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
ive just pulled up the floor in a bathroom im about to renovate and there is no bonding on any of the pipework. The stopcock is under the floor here. There are no electical appliances inthe bathroom(shaver socket or elecy shower) although there is a shower pump in the room nextdoor.

is this correct?

im gonna re-route the hot and cold for the sink, wc and bath along with the flow and return for a towel rad.

Im gonna use pushfit plastic connectors for most of the pipework so so i need to bond the pipework?

sorry its a bit vague but anything to put me on the right track would be much appreesh.

Sponsored Links
If the installation is pre-17th edition then the extraneous metallic parts entering the bathroom should be bonded together and to the cpcs of any electrical circuits in there eg lighting
This should have been done in a minimum of 4mm² G/Y and is not connected to the main earthing terminal.

The stopcock is under the floor here.
If that is the main one where the water supply enters the building, there should be a wire (10mm usually) from there to the consumer unit. That is the only one to the CU, the other bonding does NOT connect back to the CU.

For the new pipes, will you be using plastic pipes with the plastic connectors? If so, no bonding required.
Metal pipes and metal connectors will probably require bonding.
Metal pipes with plastic connectors are a can of worms, best not to go there.

OK,

all the current pipework is at least 20 years old

So the stopcock should have 10mm earthing connected to consumer unit which is nextdoor (handy)

and all other pipework (which are not connected in some way (cold to loo or cold to basin)) should be connected together via clips and 4mm cable?

Sponsored Links
and all other pipework (which are not connected in some way (cold to loo or cold to basin)) should be connected together via clips and 4mm cable?

...and to the lighting cpc

is there any particular reason why it has to be bonded to the lighting circuit? or is that just for convienience because you have lighting in the bathroom to bond to, but not sockets?

When I did it a few years ago, I just took a suitibly rated earth wire from the bathroom back to the fusebox, in addition to the 10mm on the gas incoming, and water incoming, then bonded all the pipes in the bathroom together as usual with 6mm cable earth clamps and crimped connectors. At the time I was told that was fine.

When I did it a few years ago, I just took a suitibly rated earth wire from the bathroom back to the fusebox, in addition to the 10mm on the gas incoming, and water incoming, then bonded all the pipes in the bathroom together as usual with 6mm cable earth clamps and crimped connectors. At the time I was told that was fine.

Well you were told wrong. The process is called BONDING and this is different to EARTHING. In fact you are making things worse by bringing the earth from the fusebox.

Supplementary bonding is explained in the WIKI //www.diynot.com/wiki/electric...l_bonding:supplementary_equipotential_bonding

OK,

all the current pipework is at least 20 years old

So the stopcock should have 10mm earthing connected to consumer unit which is nextdoor (handy)

Bond all extraneous pipe work and all electrically supplied items within the bathroom , unless the circuits in the bathroom are all rcd protected ?
If so it is highly unlikely the circuits will not meet the disconnection times required , so no need for Sup Bonding .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back