No earth in lighting circuit-question about bathroom lights.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just moved into a new home which definately needs a lot of work, including the wiring. I have just checked the bathroom lights, 2 ceiling roses) and there is no earth connection.
One light was connected to a wall switch (this was in the loo part of the room which has been knocked through by the previous owner). I have removed the cable from this switch and connected it to the pull cord for the other switch-is this safe??

I was going to change the fittings but they have a metal base with an earth connection, as I have no earth I assume this is not safe?

I will be having the house rewired with the next 6 months.

The consumer unit is the old type with wire breakers, can these be replaced with a switch unit?

Any advise please.

Sponsored Links
Put up all-plastic fittings with double-insulated enclosed lamps until the wiring has been done properly.

No metal spotlights, for example.

You could use extra-low voltage lamps fed from a transformer but if you are serious about having it rewired soon, wait until after.

Assuming you have a Wylex Standard fusebox, yes, you can buy MCBs to fit, but, again, if you are serious about having the house rewired soon, it would be money down the drain.

BTW if you have recently moved in and are doing redecorating and refurbishment, the sooner you have the wiring done, the less you will find yourself decorating or patching twice.

Thanks JohnD, I'll do that and take the other fittings back, they were only temp. anyway.

So, there isn't a problem having 2 lights working from the same pull cord?

I'm waiting for quotes for building work, then I think I'll get the wiring started once we know its going to happen.

thanks again.

Sponsored Links
light switches are usually rated at 5Amps. that would be enough for more than ten 100watt lamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back