No Earthing wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I brought 2 metal spot lights to replace some existing light fittings in my house. I have successfully fitted one on the middle floor bedroom as there were 3 wires, live, neutral and earth in the existing ceiling rose. However, when I came to do the same on the top floor there was only 2 wires in the rose, live and neutral...no sign of an earth wire, presumably it would not be safe to connect the new fitting. How do I earth it? Any help would be most welcome

Dazzed

Sponsored Links
Does it say double insulated, class II or have a box in box symbol on it?

are you sure it hasnt been hacked off?
try stripping back a bit more

Have you had a look in your loft, it could be that the earths have been pushed up or that the switched supply is taken from a junction box which has an earth!!

Otherwise you will have to get a double insulated fitting!! And also make sure that all the other fittings & switches on that circuit are either earthed or are also double insulated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all those suggestions, there is no double insulated mark anywhere to be seen and no sign of the earth wire further in the encasing, however i have noticed that the wire from the existing ceiling rose runs down an exposed roof beam to a round junction box fitted to another beam, is it wise to open that box up and have alook, sorry to sound dim but I know nothing about electrical wiring. Thanks

Hi

There's no harm in taking a peek, you may be lucky.

Ed

Thanks Ed, forgive my ignorance but if the J box is earthed does that mean it should be OK to fit the spot light with just pos and neut wires!?

no,if its not class 2 it needs an earth.unless you want the fitting to become live when heat dissipation finally does the cable in!

I know nothing about electrical wiring.

:eek:

i agree with securespark

mate turn it of at the mains, im guessing your house would be 3plate so there is gonna be live stuff in that JB turn it off and have a sneaky peek, if so replace the cable what comes down (using your old one as a draw wire) and pull new T&E down and terminate it using earth sleaving, leave a lil coil in your loft incase you replace the light fittings in the future im sure everyone here has been there when a cable is way way to short, 1mm2 will be fine screwfix do a reel of 25m for like 9 quid

hope this helps

If there is no earth you have 3 options.
1 Put plastic fittings/switches on the circuit.
2 Run a separate earth conductor (overkill - but still an option).
3 Run new T&E.

Given you know nothing about electrics, the safest option is putting back the plastic stuff.
If you do have an earth conductor in the JB you can replace the cable between the JB, light fitting and switch with new T&E.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back