No EPC - Advice Please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Not sure if this is the correct place to post, but....
I purchased a property back in 2012, which I am now looking to sell.

My estate agent has come to do the marketing and has found that there is no EPC registered for the property, despite it being a legal requirement to have one in order to complete the sale in 2012.

I have been in touch with the agent I purchased it through and the solicitors who did the conveyancing, who are essentially blaming each other. The agent is saying that it's a legal thing therefore the solicitors shouldn't have completed without it. The solicitors are saying the agent shouldn't have even marketed the property without one. The solicitors are being a bit more helpful in that they are going to check through my file and find the details of it, but I don't hold out much hope and the file needs to be retrieved from storage, which is going to take a few days.

I know these aren't expensive (around £120) but I'd rather not have to pay for it if possible.

Does anyone know who really is responsible for this?

Thanks in advance
James

Sponsored Links
forget it it's gone now. Round our way if you put a house up with an agent sole agency they will pay for it.

Sponsored Links
forget it it's gone now. Round our way if you put a house up with an agent sole agency they will pay for it.
They're not free though, it will be listed as a cost in their invoice and as mentioned they make a tidy profit on them.

It's not the correct place to post incidentally. An Energy Performance Certificate has nothing to do with Planning or Building Regs.

It's not the correct place to post incidentally. An Energy Performance Certificate has nothing to do with Planning or Building Regs.

Thank you, I do realise that. But I wasn't really sure which sub forum to post in and this seemed like the closest.

With regards to the other suggestions, I do realise that in the grand scheme of things this is a very insignificant cost. It is more the principle of it. I'll suggest to both the solicitor (who I was intending to use again) and the agent (who I won't be using again) that they pay for it and see where that goes.

And yet you comment on party wall, and boundary posts here, without scolding the OPs. o_O

If things are tight for the £50 EPC, then let me know and I'll organise a whip round.

Some principles may well be worth fighting for, even dying for. But lack of an EPC from four years ago is not one of them.

Isn't there a sense that a 5 year old EPC isn't worth much anyway - you might have had double glazing installed, topped up the loft, and filled the cavities since then? Admittedly the 'theoretical max' shouldn't change though.

Check online to see if there isn't one there, if there is you can download it and print it off for free.

And in all the time you've spent chasing, searching, whipping and cajoling, you could have got a second job at Maccy D's and flipped your way to a new EPC by now ;)

Might not want to use the solicitors again though; if they missed the absent EPC last time, who knows what costly thing they will miss this time..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back