No expansion joint in retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ve had a brickie to construct a retaining wall. He s forgotton to put expansion joints in. The wall is 17m long 1.4m wide at the base and 2.1m high. Its block on flat and after every 4 courses the wall steps in at the back. The back section is gettin filled with concrete but isnt filled yet. I was wounder if i need expansion joints and if so how do i go about doing them as the wall is constructed. Thanks chris

Sponsored Links
I'm not up to speed with block walls. It might not need an expansion joint.
You could saw it down the front 100mm deep and hope for the best.
Mind you a wedge of concrete behind will also hinder the crack inducer!

Also bear in mind pouring concrete behind a block wall may have enough force to tip it over or shear it off at the bottom.

Who designed that, and what is it retaining .... continental Europe?

I can't see what an expansion joint will do with that design of reducing wall thickness and dissimilar material

Well...the Hoover Dam hasn't got control joints so I can't see why your wall would need them :p

Seriously though, thicker walls are less likely to crack than thin ones so it will *probably* be OK.

Sponsored Links
Hoover is curved though. And anchored between two rock faces.
We did some heavy stuff with concrete this week. No surprise there....lol
Hoover dam was mentioned at one point. :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back