no external stop cock or meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all - i recently bought a house and in the middle of replacing all pipe work which was old copper/lead. I have realised that there is no stop cock at the boundary of my property. I am a bit nervous to call the water company as they might end up putting a water meter with the stop cock. Any advice on how to address this? I also have lead pipe coming into the property which ideally I want to replace with a PVC one without the water meter!

Sponsored Links
Water company can't make you have a water meter if you don't currently have one, don't thi k there obliged to provide a stop tap at boundary so you'd probably have to pay for one

Reactions: CBW
Water company can't make you have a water meter if you don't currently have one, don't thi k there obliged to provide a stop tap at boundary so you'd probably have to pay for one

They might fit a meter, but they cannot then charge you based on your consumption. If you are a less than average user, someone living alone or a couple - then it might be well worth your while to opt for a meter anyway. My own charge is between 1/3 and 1/2 the cost since having a meter fitted.

They might fit a meter, but they cannot then charge you based on your consumption. If you are a less than average user, someone living alone or a couple - then it might be well worth your while to opt for a meter anyway. My own charge is between 1/3 and 1/2 the cost since having a meter fitted.
thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "they cannot charge based on consumption"...my understanding is that once a meter has been fitted they have to charge?

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "they cannot charge based on consumption"...my understanding is that once a meter has been fitted they have to charge?

I heard differently, but it may vary by area. They would have to continue to charge you based on the old water rates system, as you are at the moment and ignore the meter consumption. If someone moves into the property after you, then the meter is already installed and ready to use.

As Harry says they can fit a meter but can't force you to be charged based on its readings, but you'd have to use huge amounts of water for a water meter to be more expensive

As Harry says they can fit a meter but can't force you to be charged based on its readings, but you'd have to use huge amounts of water for a water meter to be more expensive

..and if they were to fit a meter, you then have the advantage of knowing precisely what you use and can work out exactly what they would charge if using the meter.

If you want to change the pipe from lead, check with your water undertaker, some do a lead replacement scheme - you provide the dry main from a new stopcock internally, to the boundary and they’ll usually connect for free. Doubt they’ll force you to have a meter.

There is almost certainly a stoptap at the boundary. First job is get in touch with your local water supplier, ask them to come and have a look. As above re lead replacement, well worth the effort!
but what if they come with a stop cock with a meter as part of lead replacement? that is my worry

There is almost certainly a stoptap at the boundary. First job is get in touch with your local water supplier, ask them to come and have a look.

Not necessarily. Some streets of Victorian Properties may have one stop valve serving a number of houses, which may be at the end of a Terrace, or several doors away. Locally we have a number of Council estates, put up in the 50's, with all sorts of weird arrangements for water supply. One I recall, houses built in a large square, covering 3 different roads, supplies are fed in from diagonally opposite corners, with 2 pipes going off in opposite directions running down the backs of the houses in a large 'L' shape, with a stop valve at either end of the 'L'.

Another I know of has a 2" 'Rider Main, running through the rear, feeding each property, with 2 supplies, one coming in under the kitchen sink, and the other feeding what would have been an original outside WC. Even the Water Co, couldn't work out how to turn that off without shutting the entire street down, so fitted an external stop valve box in the rear, with the supply still live.

I'd ask the water Co to come and have a look, they may have plans of what runs where if you're lucky!

Re the meter sketch, have a look at your water suppliers website, search for water meter. Up here you can ask to have a meter fitted, you can change your mind and go back to rateable value after a trial period (6 months I think)- the meter will stay installed, if the house changes ownership the new occupiers will be metered with no choice in the matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back