No felt in loft space?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I have two questions for this forum but will post separately.

The first: I've been tackling the job of insulating the loft and was considering applying some insulation to the undersides of the roof but it just occured to me that there is no felt and I am looking directly onto the back of the tiles.

I know that this can be the case with older house and mine is circa 1930s but

1) Is this a problem? Do I need to rectify ths?

2) Can I still insulate the roof area in anyway?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's only a problem if the tiles are starting to go really though at getting on for 80 years old (assuming it's the original covering) they will be coming to the end of their life sometime soonish. The only problem that may occur is with wind blown rain and snow but this wouldn't be any reason not to put insulation in the roofspace anyway, in the house I live in I know that there is no felt and the landlord has fitted polystyrene insulation between the rafters, if at sometime you get the roof recovered it may just need a bit of replacing if they move during the works, one thing it will do is stop a lot of dust and debris falling into the loft space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back