no flow through filling loop (even when disconnected)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all - I found loads of great advice here (thanks!) including how to repressurise my system (dripping Chaffoteaux et Maury "Britony" combi) while waiting for the engineer to come.

Having done that once (and the bloke still hasn't come) the pressure has dropped a bit more (after filling it was 1.5 now it's about 0.7 - due to the drip I assume) - it'll probably run ok, but I tried to refill it and nothing happens. Now I've disconnected the silver hose and can get no water to flow from either tap - that seems very wrong to me. I have normal mains pressure!

What does this mean? Is it blocked with sludge somewhere? Are the refill loop taps knackered? I don't see any similar problems on this forum. Any ideas? I'll switch it back on (that will restore some of the pressure due to expansion) and hope for the best, but appreciate any input you have (it may help my landlord's less than brilliant plumber)l.

thanks again,
Farjer

Sponsored Links
If you are a tenant then I dont recommend that you fiddle with the system other than repressurising using the filling valve as installed.

If the boiler stops then get your Landlord to get his plumber there within 24 hours or you should move into a hotel at his cost.

You should not let any plumber do significant work on the boiler unless he can show you his CORGI photocard. An unregistered plumber can work on a filling loop though.

You should also have an annual gas safety inspection and be given a copy of the certificate.

Tony

If the filling loop tap has a plastic tab, washing machine tap stylie, it's possible that it's kinda broke and no longer turning the flattened round part which the screw goes into.
If you undo the screw you can then remove plactic part and turn the shaft with a spanner, but they're all rubbish and tend to leak.

Agile - just dug out the gas safety cert (I saw him do the tests) and double checked the corgi registration number on the web - he's in the system thankfully!

ChrisR - I'll check the taps - they do seem kinda plasticy/rubbish and have a screw as you describe which I'll have a go at if the pressure drops any further.

thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Well even if he is "less than brilliant" at least he is CORGI registered.

If you find the filling loop plastic knob is not turning the shaft reliably then get the Landlord to have his plumber replace the valve.

Tony

actually the plastic knobs have a metal insert which makes them much more efficient than any spanner I have - the problem must be somewhere else - but it can wait till Monday - i still have heating (for now)

and "less than brilliant" is about 10,000 times better than me! (the recent problem that comes to mind was clerical rather than actually plumbing related)

cheers all!

arfurrrr said:
is the double check valve fitted the correct way round ?

I think so - the hot side (boiler side I presume) has a "with non-return" valve fitted - and does seem to do what it says (no escaping water when I disconnect the loop and open this tap).

it looks like the mains inlet tap is the problem - it doesn't seem to turn very far (it worked fine a week ago)

can leave this until tomorrow I think - i've tried all the simple things - any more and I'll be up to my knees in sludge

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back