no hot radiators & luke warm water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Last week we where havng a problem with our radiators downstairs being cold. I thought there was an air lock in the system so turned all the heating off whilst at work then when I got back in I bled all the radiators from top to bottom and turned the boiler back on. This actually worked fine and all the radiators were really hot including the hot water, until the next morning... the boiler fired up but the radiators throughout the house are now cold and have been since yesterday and the water from the tap is now luke warm...??

from reading some of the other posts on this forum I thought I might need to get the central heating system flushed as there maybe sludge in the radiators..? but what I can't understand is that the radiators were really hot 2 nights ago..
since then Ive tried numerous times to bleed the radiators and to still no joy..

the boiler we have is a potterton suprima 30.. I noticed we have a motorized valve attached to the tank. Could it be that this might be faulty?

any suggestions would be appreciated..

thanks
nath

Sponsored Links
Think I would be tempted to make sure the pump isn't sticking first, take the chrome screw out of the end and see if the spindle is turning, have something ready for the bit of water that will come out though.

Although for a professional your system is very simple, unfortunately what you have said is not pointing to anything in particular.

This great British predelection for bleeding rads usually just makes things worse.

All I can say is thay you should be checking the pump and motorised valve.

Are you in Cubbington?

Tony

Ive just spoke to someone else about the motorised valve and how thats supposed to work. There is a metal slight switch on the back but no indications of what the position is relevant to..? Im also struggling to locate the pump..? is it usually in the same location as the motorised valve?

Sponsored Links
So if it worked after bleeding [I agree with Agile, its practiced too often!], it points to possibly air being drawn in to stop the pump circulating. Why did you try bleeding, was it noisey system [lots of 'rushing' in pump], or radiators cool at top? This type of system is easy enough to problem find on. Maybe the pump gives up when it is hot [happens]. BUT please say you haven't had to reset the boiler flashing button.

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back