No hot water, a little help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, seemed as if my old Glow worm swift flow 100 (combi boiler, circa 1997) may finally be on its way out:

Last couple of weeks the shower was alternating between hot n cold but the hot water from the tap seemed fine, however it has also now stopped. My previous assumption was the shower workings (mira pressure sensing type), but it seems like its a major part in the boiler now.

So, central heating works fine.

Cold water in to the system feeds directly into the burner unit with a pressure vessel (tennis ball sized) and flows through a flow switch. (no diverter mechanism).

The water pressure is fine - cold water only - boiler doesn't fire up when tap opened, however if C/H is on i.e. burner working and hot tap turned on, C/H pauses until tap is turned off then continues. (If it is the flow switch, why does the CH stop, is this another sensor? As it says to me it's recognising the water flow?) Still no hot water though, no matter what.

This boiler apparently doesn't have a diaphragm, it works on a flow switch (£90 ish for a new one)

Do I simply connect the flow switch wires to bypass and find out if this is faulty or could there be another major reason and how can I fault find further without deciding upon a new boiler ?

Really appreciate any help offered, thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Hiya buddy,

Without wishing to sound rude your asking technical questions in an open forum.. If your an RGI there's the combustion chamber for that..

But if your not ( I appreciate you maybe technical minded) your asking us to guide a layman in linking safety devices. Granted for yourself it's just to prove one way or another which part is at fault...

You have to ask yourself... Does the boiler owe you owt? 1997.. Id say you've done well.. Limp along throwing money or start again..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back