no hot water downstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i have no hot water downstairs it will only get hot if i turn the hot tap on upstairs and then goes cold again when i turn it off i have a worcester 24i boiler. it does not seem to be "asking" for the hot water from the boiler like it does from the upstairs taps i have had this problem before and it was a lot of green/white stuff(hardened water i guess)blocking the pipe which i had to remove and replace a section of pipe? but i dont think it is this this time any ideas
thankyou
andy

Sponsored Links
flow switch maybe? Its the one with 2 pink wires, easy to check if you got a coninuity tester?

also the water gets warm when i put the heating on could it be the diverter valve?all the water pressure is ok

is this really a 24i or cdi. Did you check the flow switch yet? 24i doesnt have a diverter valve.

Sponsored Links
hi rob not got a tester not a plumber yes it is a 24i its got it written on the front

If the flow from the taps is pretty good i.e above 5ltrs/min then its very likely the flow switch and these are very easy to change.

the flow is quite poor downstairs if you turn the water on upstairs you only get a triccle downstairs the pressure on the boiler is at 2 bar is that enough or can it go higher .where is the best place to buy a flow switch and where can i find some info about changing it im reasonably competent

Measure the flow in ltr/min at the tap. The boiler needs atleast 3/4 ltr/min to sense a flow.

Whats the flow like at the rest of the hot taps, has the flow decreased with time?

after that then you could try www.partscenter.co.uk

hi rob now you have said that the flow seem to have got poorer recently the basin hot tap upstairs is ok but the bath hot tap has reduced in flow it has i shower connected to it one of those old fashioned type set of tap where you can switch between the bath and the shower and the shower isn't as powerful as it used to be but they are still both hot

drew13 said:
also the water gets warm when i put the heating on could it be the diverter valve?all the water pressure is ok

i bet your testing the hot water upstairs with a bath tap aint you...well dont use the sink tap. still getting hotwater upstairs then youve got a problem on pipes, no hot water upstairs yippeeee its the divertor valve.

what is happening is the down stairs isnt creating enough pressure to operate the split/damaged diaphram, but a tap that has greater flow presures do(bath v kitchen mixer tap

alternative try testing it this way turn off ch and run bath tap is it getting hot ,simplicity at its best

what boiler is it on anyway

hi doyle both the basin tap and the bath tap are nice and hot upstairs just no hot water coming out of the hot tap in the kitchen only cold it heats up for a few seconds then goes stone cold will only stay hot if i am running a hot tap upstairs

yes, so its coz your using enough pressure to operate a split diaphram.

never mind this does this for a moment single tap usage only under normal tap flow rate...medium

upstairs sink tap hot or cold

bath tap hot or cold

kitchen tap hot or cold.

two taps open or alternative bath tap on full water might get hot

having two taps on is like running bath tap on full burst, creates enough pressure to operate a damaged diaphram. what we need to know is what under normal usage does not operate.

also what will happen is that as the diaphram splits more you will end up with no hot water at all as it will not get enough pressure to operate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back