No hot water from electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...first post.

I've got a Gainsborough 10.5kW electric shower in my house...switch with red light (sorry...not sure on the correct term for that) is on the wall outside the showerroom.

Recently I turned on the switch and the red light was a LOT dimmer than it used to be and when I turned the shower on it didn't produce any hot water.

Checked the wiring at the switch - looks fine.
Checked the circuit breaker - fine (as expected since there was some light on the switch).

Any suggestions on possible causes of these symptoms and ideas for fixing it?

Cheers
Ronnie

Sponsored Links
Is there power reaching the shower?
You would need to take the cover off to test this , but do so with power isolated firstly.
It is in my experiance usually the best option to put in a new shower if it is dead, and possibly a more reliable model such as a mira who now do sme more affordable models.

Is there power reaching the shower?
You would need to take the cover off to test this , but do so with power isolated firstly.
It is in my experiance usually the best option to put in a new shower if it is dead, and possibly a more reliable model such as a mira who now do sme more affordable models.

There must be power reaching the shower if there is water flowing out of it - electric showers generally have an electrically-operated valve for the water so no power would mean no flow. Remember that the problem is that the water isn't getting hot, not that there is no water at all.

Sounds like an electrical fault to me, I'd say hit the electricians' board and explain the problem to them, they might be able to suggest something.

Sorry muggles but plenty of electric showers will allow water to flow even with no power.
Especially broken ones

Sponsored Links
Well I've hardly ever come across one that will allow flow with the power off (note I did say 'generally') so I discounted it based on probability, a dim neon still suggests an electrical fault downstream of the isolation switch to me - you can switch one of these on with nothing connected at all and the neon will still light. Having said that I do concede that broken showers could do just about anything, still think it's worth the OP taking a trip to the sparks' board though.

Incidentally Ronnie, if it turns out that I'm wrong and the shower is broken, you can get spares here if you know the part number... http://www.shower-warehouse.co.uk/erol.html#1083X0

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back