No hot water in bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I suspect I know the answer to this one but I'd be grateful for some confirmation - or otherwise - please.

Combi boiler works fine (Worcester - I think it's a 28i but can't find the paperwork), six radiators heating OK (apart from one downstairs that we don't use anyway) and the hot water is fine - except for the bath hot tap, where the water is lukewarm at best. The flow of water is fine, just the heat that's not. Strangely, hot water from the bathroom sink hot tap is perfect (although it does take a while for it to heat up) and, given that they're only about six feet apart, you'd think the bath tap would be, too. There's also a heated towel rail in the bathroom, which is situated directly above the bath taps and which heats up fine.

The boiler is about four years old (we had to replace it when the old one broke down in the midst of winter), although the radiators are old now. Couldn't afford to replace the whole lot then and still can't now.

We did have an intermittent problem with the boiler (just after it was out of guarantee...) where it wouldn't ignite for ages and then did, on and off. Kept topping up the pressure through the screw valves underneath, but it never lasted long. We could live with it during summer but not in winter, when a succession of heating engineers scratched their heads, replaced bits and pieces (the diaphragm being one that comes to mind) and gave us a succession of reasons as to why it wouldn't work, at the same time making it obvious that they didn't really know. One recommended a power flush which he could do for £600. Which, of course, we didn't have.

We managed to get a service contract with a well-known gas company (I think because everything just happened to be working fine on the day of the inspection). They've been out twice to get the boiler working again, the second time the most successfully (it's been pretty good since).

That man recommended I fit something called an airbrake turn dish screw connector and showed me where it went. All v simple and I will. But now there's no hot water in the bath and, since we have a new baby, we could probably use it at some point. We do have a shower, so we're not as grubby as we might sound.

I was hoping they might replace the pipes under the service contract (we're covered for all parts) but won't because they're plastic (!). I'm also worried that if we call them out too many times they'll cancel the contract and I don't want that to happen in case of a really serious emergency.

I think the pipes and radiators are old and sludged up, but can't afford to have them either replaced or power flushed. I don't understand, though, how this would affect the heat in the bath hot water tap without affecting the water flow. Is it coincidental that the hot tap is the furthest one from the boiler?

And, lastly, would anyone recommend (or not) something called MagnaClean Professional? It would seem to be useful for us and seems like it might be a possible help on the sludge front. Does it work? Is it easy to fit?

But while I suspect what's wrong, I really don't know for sure. I'd really appreciate your opinions (if you've managed to read this far).

And if you have read this far, many thanks for your patience and your advice.

Sponsored Links
Open the tap only so far that you get a flow of 8L/min, and your water will be hot.

That man recommended I fit something called an airbrake turn dish screw connector and showed me where it went. :?: :?:
What the hell is that? and what good will it do? according to the man from the well known gas company.
Why don't you say what you think is wrong as it may help in diagnosing your problem. :confused:

Sponsored Links
My own suspicions are that the system is sludged up and I'd like to find a cheap way of cleaning it out, as much as is possible. I don't understand, though, why the heat in the bath tap has gone. I've tried reducing the water flow, with no difference in the result.

Any thoughts on MagnaClean, anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back