no hot water when room thermostat up beyond about 20degs????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a single pump system that has a 3 way (I think valve) and if we go to bed and have the room stat up high (beyond about 20degs) in the morning the house is nice and warm but we have no heating. If when we go to bed we turn the heating down to say 17 degs we have hot water and heating. I suspect the valve is not working correctly or has never been fitted correctly in the first place, it was in our house before we moved here so been done for over 5 years.

Can someone also confirm to me the priority as in the room stat dictates if the heating turns on and off and the tank stat dictates if the water is hot enough in the tank but we seem to have the heating having the main priority and the hot water being secondary. im thinking that the valve directs the heating first in priority to the hot water. I am no plumber as you can tell but can anyone shed any light on what may be the problem?

David

Sponsored Links
there is no priority on most systems, it is possible there is a fault with your 3 port valve or it may be a balancing issue.
if we go to bed and have the room stat up high (beyond about 20degs) in the morning the house is nice and warm but we have no heating
i'm assuming you meant no hot water

yes you are right i do mean hot water!

All my radiators have the therostat type ends. Would i be better off not having them and putting the standard non thermostat type? or would this potentially add to my issues?

david

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have a mid-position 3 port valve, then as already said there is no priority for anything. You should get ch, hw or both together.

As suggested I would tink the 3 port valve had has faulted and needs changing.

If, however, you have an older style 3 port diverter valve, then usually HW takes priority.

You need to check what you have exactly ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back