No Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On Christmas Eve I found I had no hot water, as a temporary measure I have been heating water using the immersion on the hot water cylinder.
My system is gravity fed hot water with pumped central heating from a Potterton Flamingo 40 boiler.
On closer inspection I found that the pipe from the boiler was carring hot water to the cylinder, but the return from the bottom of the cylinder to the boiler was cold.
I drained the system and added a cleanser (from Wickes) which I left in the system for a week. I then drained the system again and added an inhibitor.
But still I am getting this blockage which seems to be in the coil of the hot water cylinder or the return to the boiler.
The only way I have been able to shift this blockage is by removing the thermostat in the boiler and letting the water heat up until it boils over into the header tank. This water pressure pushes the water from the boiler through the coil and I then have hot water (to the taps) for a day or two and then it is back to square one.
My next plan of action for the weekend will be to remove the connections to the top and bottom of the coil and see if I can "rod" the blockage out of the system, what do you think?
I only found this web site today so any comments about any of the above would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Rocket

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back