No Hot Water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well started my soon to be regretted bathroom rip out yesterday. Starting with taking off rad to paint walls and then replace with towel rail.

Wasn't going to drain down system yet but as both valve decided to weep like a swine when I turned them off I had no choice. Drained off from new valve bulders had put in on hallway pipework, all was well.

That was until washing up time this morning, luke warm water and boiler not firing up after having hot tap on for so long like it normally does. Can these 2 be related?

As it stands I have the valve shut off that goes into heating tank but no others. The cold water tank that feeds the cyilnder is filling up.

Sponsored Links
Did you interrupt the gas supply to the boiler when you were doing any of this. I had a similar issue with my boiler showing an error message and not heating the water - required me to 'reset' the boiler, effectively acknowledging that the gas supply was deliberately interrupted.

I had an amount of luke warm, then just cold once the water in the pipes ran out.

Similar symptoms, but possibly completely unrelated! Different boiler, and a different cause... Worth checking though. Cheers.

thanks for that reset the boiler but nothing. Have refilled the system now and it fires up and stays going for 30 secs then nothing.

I thought you could drain the system without affecting the hot water on a normal non combi boiler

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Is this a combi or conventional boiler.

Either way if you're wanting to heat the water using the boiler, the central heating circuit needs to be full.

If combi, then it needs to billed up to operation pressure, usually 1.5bar,
if conventional, then system needs to full and bled before using the boiler.

If you have a conventional boiler, then your cylinder should have an immersion heater on it, if so, leave your boiler off and heat the cylinder using the immersion heater.

Rico
:cool:

well I've learnt something new I didn't think anything to do with the heating side affected the hot water with it being a boiler with a cylinder - now I've refilled it everything is ok..
I thought it was just combis that did that!

kg,

Glad all is ok, seems strange doesn't it, it is the central heating water that flows through the coil in the cylinder to heat your water up.

Rico
:cool:

I wondered why there was a pipe that seemed to connect the 2. Am sure I'll be back next week when I get onto fitting the bathroom!

All systems require water in them to heat hot water as well as radiators :!: Combi's whilst heating the domestic hot water inside the appliance, still require the boiler and system to be full of water.

From your description you have a conventional system with boiler and hot water cylinder. With this setup the boiler heats the water and it then travels round the system, heating radiators and cylinder contents as required. Inside the cylinder is a coil of copper pipe, the heated water from the boiler flows through this coil, transferring heat into the water in the cylinder. The domestic hot water (from the taps) and the water in the boiler/radiators is kept entirely separate.

You have been lucky, trying to fire the boiler with little or no water in the system can at best damage the boiler beyond help, and at worst be extremely dangerous!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back