no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to run my bath this a.m. and found the water barely warm though the hot water had been set to come on for 2 hrs from 7 a.m. I noticed the rads were hot though the hall stat didn't click off when I turned it down and was only on l8 before doing so. I clicked the h.w. button back on (it had gone off by then) at the programmer and waited for an hour or more before running the hot tap again; no improvement but the rads were still hot though the c.h. was off at the programmer and the hall stat turned well down. Does anyone have any clues as to what might have gone wrong? I checked that the cylinder stat was set at 60, which I think is correct. I looked at the valve fixed to the pipe about a third of the way from the bottom and saw that at one end of the slot it said MAN ON and at the other AUTO and the lever was at the Auto end. Is this correct? I wondered whether it might have got knocked when I put a clothes airer into the airing cupboard. Incidentally, the towel rail was also hot. I can't understand how we can be getting heating when the heating button is off and the roomstat turned down. Would appreciate some advice, please.

Sponsored Links
I've just noticed that whereas the pipe feeding the Honeywell valve for the h.w. cylinder and that going up through the ceiling of the airing cupboard get hot, the pipe going from the valve into the cylinder does not, so the cylinder is being bypassed. So is the valve faulty or should the leaver on it be set to MAN On rather than Auto?

Really would appreciate some help.

Tried that. Didn't make any difference to the pipe going into the cylinder and the rads started to get warm again, though in theory heating was off and hall stat turned to less than 10 degrees. So does that mean that the motorised valve has failed?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your three port valve is stuck in the CH position. The HW controls are turning the pump and boiler on but the valve is sending the heat to rads.

It will probably need a new body, iso the power, remove powerhead and try turing spindle with a small spanner or pliers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back