No Hot Water

....dimple.....
He means pimple, convex. On the top of the case in the position of the white splot on the picture above.

If your actuator is moving sometimes but not others, it's knackd. Honeywell are highly favoured but the bits of bent metal in there don't last as long as they should.

Assuming you have a pimple, loosen the screw and slide the top off. Then you're looking for two screws with a combined no 10 torx female, and slot, head. Heads like the one you loosened to get the top off except these are captive - they won't fall out.

Undo those, wiggle the lever some, and the actuator should come off. If your feet are wet you got the wrong screws :oops:

See if the motor
11025.gif
is loose on its mounting.

See if the actuator seems to work while it's not on the valve. They often do, though stick when reassembled, which is annoying!

The little flattened bit sticking up from the valve base doesn't move much - perhaps 30º. See if it's free - should turn with fingers only. See also if there's a sign of a leak round the shaft.

Notice how much the shaft will turn, then try with a pair of pliers to see if it'll swing a wider arc. You're moving a hard rubber ball in there which you shouldn't be able to compress easily. If it does, you've got a swollen ball, and you've squashed the softened rubber with the extra torque. New valve required, or you can get a kit with just the spindle, bush and rubber ball and try a refurbisment.
12130.jpg

If no pimple, it's old, buy a whole new valve.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris. Yes, the newer MZV has a dimple and, no, the knackered one doesn't. :(
I took the cover off anyway to have a look. The actuator behind the motor does move when I turn HW on, but the lever that sticks out doesn't move. I pushed it to Man Open; nothing happened. Turned HW off and actuator wound back, pulling lever with it.

Hmmm, so getting a plumber to fit a new valve - about £200? I take it there is no point in even trying to refurbish the old style valves...

emanresu said:
Thanks Chris. Yes, the newer MZV has a dimple and, no, the knackered one doesn't. :(
I took the cover off anyway to have a look. The actuator behind the motor does move when I turn HW on, but the lever that sticks out doesn't move. I pushed it to Man Open; nothing happened. Turned HW off and actuator wound back, pulling lever with it.

Hmmm, so getting a plumber to fit a new valve - about £200? I take it there is no point in even trying to refurbish the old style valves...

You may get away with a motor, it may be that its worn and slipping, take it off and have a look. You need to push the arm past manual, right to the end of the run, if you just latch it on manual it wo't make a contact on the microswitches. There's no major need to change the brass valve body unless its crudded up, you can just change the actuator and the ball and plate for a few quid difference. Either way you will need to bung / drain the system.

Some good news. I loosened three screws and moved the motor away from the valve. When I turned on the HW I could see the cog on the motor turning.
I then presed the microswitch and the pump fired into life! :)

Looking at the plate that presses on to the microswitch, at its closest it is just under a centimetre away from the microswitch. :rolleyes: Can't see how it ever worked!

So, I'll try to either bend the plate closer or see if I can add something to it so it presses on the switch.

Rob

Sponsored Links
If you use the refurb kit, you also will have converted the valveto one where you CAN just change the head in future. Butif it aint't broke and you just need a motor.... lucky!

:D Very good news! :D

I have got it working! However, I may have to change my user name to Mr BodgeIt.
Looking through my shed for something to put on the arm of the plate, so that it reached the microswitch, I came across a dust cap. It went on the arm quite well so I superglued it in place, waited, re-assembled and turned on the HW at the programmer....pump kicked into life! Have just checked and am getting hot water from the hot tap now.

Thanks guys for your help. :cool:

Hi guys, I have the exact same problem with the MZVs.
Mine are very difficult to get to, down the side of the tank in a small cupboard!
I've got central heating ok, but no hot water. :(

One of the MZV motors turns when the central heating is on, the other doesn't ever turn, so I presume this is the hot water one?

Given that this isn't turning, would that indicate the motor has gone :?:
Changing that probably is within my capabilities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back