no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the gas boiler for central heating and hot water is firing up . .Its one behind the fire in living room . .the radiators get hot but theres no hot water ..the pipe coming up to the hot water cylinder is hot . .theres 2 valves just above the boiler . .when i open them i can hear air coming out and the pipe that leads to hot water cylinder starts getting hot but its only going as far as the valve (i think its called that) which says "honeywell" on it and no further .. i can hear air going round the system and i keep opening the valves up and letting air out but so far no hot water
Any help would be appreciated . .thanks

Sponsored Links
To check if its the Honewell valve You can operate it manually by pushing the little lever which is on the side of the valve,then hooking it in place.If you have a good look at it you will see what i mean.By doing this it will give you hot water and heating.If this works then you can replace the motor inside the vavle quite easily and cheaply.It only involves a couple of screws and a couple of short wires and there is no need to drain the system(but make sure the electric is off).
Replacement motors are available from plumbcenter, B+Q etc.
Have a look if its 2 port(2 pipes) or 3 port (3 pipes)

Couldn't find the problem and as i'm disabled was unable to get in loft to check up there ...called someone out and they said water had evaporated in cold water tank . .he came down with a ballcock he said had fallen off and that was problem . .hot water then came straight back on . .said i needed it replaced but could last without it for 1 or 2 months ... i then asked a friend to go up and check for me .. he said there was no ballcock missing
My question is if anyone can help ... how is the tank going to work for just 1 or 2 months without ballcock (thought this was an essential part) to water flow
I'm thinking the old ballcock that was shown to me may have fallen in tank and blocked water flow .. i didn't hear any water going into tank which surely i should have done if it was that empty and i don't think water would have started heating up straight away ..was i being conned?

Sponsored Links
Yes you were !!
Ballcock is essential or cold feed will never stop.
Could possibly have been muck of some description blocking outlet if lid not replaced and he probably found the "old" ballcock next to tank from when it was last replaced.

Thanks Scoby for your reply .. .luckily i didn't fall for wanting to charge me £30 to put new one on and that was supposed to be cut price as a favour coz he was relation of a friend

Well as long as you have ball cock fitted, get ya pal to check for a lid if not on, then everything should be o.k. Dont forget all sorts of creatures live in your loft without you knowing, who kens what they may drop in your storage tank(s).
You obviously got a "light" rip off

following on from scoby_beasley's comment "Dont forget all sorts of creatures live in your loft without you knowing,"

many years ago (we are talking well into the double figures) our hot water started to smell, turned out a bird had fallen into the loft tank, got trapped and was very badly decaying (covered in a "gel" it had been there so long)

just thought I would mention it

Thats disgusting breezer :eek:
At least i didn't have anything like that
This man actually phoned me a few hours later to make sure water was still heating o.k. .. i'm not usually that gullible but i had unexpected visitors that day .. not seen anyone for a few weeks
I knew what he was telling me didn't make sense as i learned the basics many years ago but wasn't the done thing for women to do plumbing then and if i'd had my wits about me i'd have told him where to get off .. i feel mad at myself that i didn't hold the money back (took about 3 mins to fix)... he couldn't have done much as he was doing it as a foreigner ..works for a firm during week .. would love to have seen his face :evil:

Sadly there are far too many cowboys in the building trade.

Best to ring your local building planning officer for any trademan which they only recommend,if they don't meet up to it they will be struck off their lists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back