No Hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A plumber came earlier today to install a new bath tap shower unit. As the bathroom cold water is served from a cold storage tank in the roof of of flats there is a separate stopcock but he couldn't turn it so abandoned it for the day. Problem is none of the hot taps are now working! Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do to turn it back on. The stopcocks in this picture would feed the tank at the base but I can't see anything in the pipe which comes out the top?

Any help appreciated

Attachments

• 20210811_202435.jpg
    20210811_202435.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have you turned either gate valve (What you’re calling a stopcock) anti-clockwise?

The red one is definitely open. The blue one is harder to tell. It keeps spinning and the nut in the middle keeps loosening as I turn. I presume I could grip the brass column with a set of pliers and turn? Or will the stem be inside that brass column?

Attachments

• 20210811_205009.jpg
    20210811_205009.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 52
Sponsored Links
I'm on first floor in the middle. Ground beneath. Second floor at the top

Ok. The cold water storage tank in the loft will need the water supply to the hot water cylinder isolated, then those 2 gate valves can be removed and a full flow lever valve fitted.

Andy

Yep, as per Andy (Herts P&D), gate valve likely to be stuck shut, and will need replacing.

It's a bit naughty what is has done, he should of told you that there might be a problem closing the gate valve. He could of fitted a new lever valve for you which would of involved more work so the price would of gone up. But at least the job would of be done correctly.

Andy

It all seems a bit vague as to why he was there and who is to pay him.

Those gate valves can fail and jam shut and also fail internally and just keep on turning.

Likely blue one is jammed open and red one was fitted to take over the isolation.

The roof tank should have an isolating valve on its outlet.

Turns out the blue dial is now redundant presumably because it sheared and is stuck in the open position. The red dial must have been a replacement. It was actually closed (plumber forgot to open) and despite having 180° movement from left to right it could actually be turned more fully than I was willing when I felt resistance (thinking that was its range of movement.). Anyway all fixed now. I think I want lever arch valves on all these pipes though.

It all seems a bit vague as to why he was there and who is to pay him.

Those gate valves can fail and jam shut and also fail internally and just keep on turning.

Likely blue one is jammed open and red one was fitted to take over the isolation.

The roof tank should have an isolating valve on its outlet.

Yes next job to get the shower tap installed, is get my management company to turn off the roof tank so he can replace the jammed stop cock. The bath itself had isolating valves but he didn't trust them. I suppose having a working stopcock in the flat is sensible in any event!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back