No lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have stripped back the plaster above a doorway we intended to remove to re-plaster as a partition wall instead. However, upon inspection, there is no concrete lintel above the door frame. There are a few floor joists from the 1st floor that do not appear to be supported by the shoddy brickwork underneath, so I am pondering the possibility of the rest of the wall also not being retaining; if so, I am looking at removing it.

The wall to the right is part of a separate partition that separates the interior from the garage, so I assume this to be built to a better standard and possibly is load baring; I have no intention of altering this.

01072010092.jpg

Can anyone give me some advice on how to pursue this further?

Sponsored Links
looks like you've got a timber lintel in below the blockwork, have a look at the joists above to see if any are being supported by the blocks

iwonbigbro your photo is waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy too big it's distorting the post.

Mods can you resize the picture for the OP??

Sponsored Links
looks like you've got a timber lintel in below the blockwork, have a look at the joists above to see if any are being supported by the blocks

The timber lintel is the same width as the door frame. In fact, the lintel is sitting on the door frame. If I remove the two blocks sitting on the lintel, the lintel will just lift out. I had a poke around above the other door frame you can see in the picture and that is the same. So it would appear that the wall on the left is free standing and is perhaps only tied into the outside wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back