No oil coming to boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A tenant of mine has phoned to say that the central heating oil boiler has stopped! It is still trying to fire when he trys to ignite but he is saying that there is no oil getting to the boiler, even after bleeding it. He has loosened joint after the stop tap at the tank end and there is oil coming out but at the other end of the 10mm supply pipe (before filter or anything) it does not appear! The supply pipe from the tank runs under the garage floor to the other end of the garage and comes up at the burner. What would be causing this? What would be the best ways for me to find the problem?

Sponsored Links
Check the oil level, you may have run out but have just enough to get some out of the joint at the tank

What are the relative heights of the two points the tenant has been opening?

You are lucky your tenants are willing to even touch it !

A tenant I spoke to last week was going to move into a hotel because the boiler was not working.

I agreed to come the next day if his local engineer could not repair it. It was reported the fan was failed but it started working again a little later. Thats why I would call him a nupty because he declared the fan was at fault just because it was not turning ( even without testing for applied voltage ).

Tony

Physically check the Oil Level...NEVER look just at the sight tube...as Oil delivery people LOVE to turn them off ( I thinks it's so they can charge more for an emergency call out)!!!!!, also you didn't say if the Oil line is copper? copper coated in plastic, steel?.... with more info might be able to help

Sponsored Links
Current regs are that sight tube should be isolated. This is to stop tanks emptying through damaged or vandalised tubes.

Thanks everyone for your help on this matter. It turned out that the tenants had ran out of oil and had got a partial fill. Just needed a bit of patience to bleed the boiler and pull the oil through. And yes thank God for good tenants (touch wood).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back