No one 'wants' to be on benefits!

They are a small number of examples and not everybody who is choosing to be idle is unable to undertake such tasks.

You chose those two jobs as examples as things anybody could do. I was simply pointing out your woolly thinking.

Sponsored Links
Just more facts I'm afraid. I'll have to work on the inane rant another day ;)

Getting the stats is harder now with most of the old benefits merging into Universal Credit. This is the best I can do:

There are about 1.6 million people claiming as unemployed. This is pretty much exactly the NAIRU, so most economists would class this as "full employment". So that number cannot really be reduced.

There are about 2.8 million claiming as too sick to work.

There are about 1.5 million others claiming out of work benefits, and these are basically single parents with very young children, or full time carers. That number can't really be reduced either.

So realistically, the only area where numbers can be reduced is those claiming as sick. This is the area the government is targeting. I don't think anyone is saying that everyone claiming on this basis is unfit to do absolutely any sort of work.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Just more facts I'm afraid. I'll have to work on the inane rant another day ;)

Getting the stats is harder now with most of the old benefits merging into Universal Credit. This is the best I can do:

There are about 1.6 million people claiming as unemployed. This is pretty much exactly the NAIRU, so most economists would class this as "full employment". So that number cannot really be reduced.

There are about 2.8 million claiming as too sick to work.

There are about 1.5 million others claiming out of work benefits, and these are basically single parents with very young children, or full time carers. That number can't really be reduced either.

So realistically, the only area where numbers can be reduced is those claiming as sick. This is the area the government is targeting. I don't think anyone is saying that everyone claiming on this basis is unfit to do absolutely any sort of work.
So Rishi Sunaks policy of chasing after slackers is just focusing on a tiny subset of people on benefits

in other words its a culture war

Gig economy jobs too

Enough hours available? Minimum wage but not many hours doesn't pay many bills.

It's just a soundbite
And many hours waiting by the phone for a gig if you're on a rate.
Even if you're dependable, you're still expendable.

So Rishi Sunaks policy of chasing after slackers is just focusing on a tiny subset of people on benefits

in other words its a culture war
So you think slacking is a culture that
people from different back grounds and and nationalities practice.

That's interesting.

There's a lot more than fruit picking. How about all the foreign lads delivering fast food on e bikes? Washing cars? All jobs that anybody can do.

Besides, people will find ways of raising their game if it's a matter of survival.
I wouldn't couldn't and wouldn't do those sort of jobs.

I wouldn't couldn't and wouldn't do those sort of jobs.
You would if your life depended on it.

I'll say it again, and it's a very simple principle: choosing to be workless at the expense of others should not be an option.

I think we all know, deep down for some, that this is fair and reasonable.

You would if your life depended on it.

I'll say it again, and it's a very simple principle: choosing to be workless at the expense of others should not be an option.

So, if we take one of your examples, of washing cars. Would you expect a man in his late fifties with arthritis to do that sort of job?

Do you understand the basic economic principle that we need a certain percentage of unemployed people to make the labour market function?

Do you believe that people who are caring full time for an elderly relative should have to work?

So, if we take one of your examples, of washing cars. Would you expect a man in his late fifties with arthritis to do that sort of job?
There are thousands of jobs, what other adults choose to do is of no interest to me. I'm too busy figuring things out for myself and earning my own living.

Sponsored Links
Back