No open soil pipe vents.

chrishutt said:
This clearly confirms that ventilation is required for below ground drainage, as I have been saying. I await apologies....
respect.gif

;)

Sponsored Links
What about the interceptor trap and the mica flap on the old air inlets and the tall sewer vents along the public roads :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: whatabout punctuation :LOL: let alone ventilation Nige J. Bazalgette ;)

Nice reference to Bazalgette.

I must admit that I wasn't quite on the ball about vent pipes before I looked it up. I thought each and every house had to have one, but it appears to be more flexible these days. :oops:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice, will contact the plumbing contactors in the morning, dont want to contact building controll etc as the house is up for sale . Did a bit of snooping yesterday there are 38 houses on the site 4 the same as mine and all have at least one open vent pipe ?

The thing is, as with most of the regs, they are open to interpretation. See my emphasis.
alternative arrangements to relieve positive pressures should be considered.
You don't necessarily have to provide it, just consider it. If after deliberation you (or more accurately your BCO) don't feel it's needed, then you don't need to do anything more about it. You've fulfilled the regulations just by considering it.

Not all BCOs will come to the same conclution. What passes muster in one area, may not, in another. Their decision will also depend on the authority of whoever is proposing the work. If the average DIY Joe makes a proposal, they may reject it. If the same proposal is made by Mr Barrat with umpteen thousand new builds experience who insists, "we've done this hundreds of times before and it's always been passed", they'll likely cave in and pass it.

However they reach their decision, once BCO have passed a job, they are extremely resistant to changing their mind. It's a matter of keeping face.

I had a problem with my gutter recently. Upon investigation I found that the next door neighbours had recently changed their roof and simply butted their new gutter, up against the raw end of mine. Since the two types of gutter had completely different cross sections, and sat at different heights, as soon as rain fell, all the run off from my roof simply drained out of the join, and into the house. When I called the BCO about the substandard work of the next door neighbours bodge, they told me, "unfortunately it's too late to do anything about that now, as we've already passed it"

As I say, once it's passed it's passed. Just let sleeping dogs lie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back