No overflow on sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-doing my kitchen and have fitted a new sink. It is a 1.5 size sink, neither sink has an overflow spout. When the plug is in one sink if you pull the plug out the other sink it wont drain (because their is no air behind it I assume) and leaks from the drainer unit under the sink. The drainer unit probably just needs tightening but is it odd that their is no overflow, should I cut one out?

Sponsored Links
If you look at the design of the sink, as it was pressed excess water can flow onto the drainer side, and overflow from there.
As for your second point about not draining, can you post a pic of the traps you've used?
John :)

Yes I can see now how it would overflow. The picture of the traps are below. It is from a Marley 1.5 drain kit. The plug holes are Marley chrome drain/strainer units.

It drains fine when both plugs are out but if one is in the other sink drains slow and leaks from the bottom of the drain unit which can be seen at the top of the photo. When I installed thses drainers I didn't use any silicone because it didn't say to in the instructions. I have used a different brand before and that did say to use sealant.

Shouldn't need silicon, but if you can't get a seal any other way then it can't do any harm.

As for the overflow, can you post a pic of the sink from above.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the post back.
I can't see anything particularly wrong with your drain pipe work - the half bowl will drain slightly slower than the full one but that shouldn't give any problems.
Just seal up the waste fitting on the full bowl and job done - apart from one thing....tie up that dishwasher or washing machine drain hose high. The way it is at the mo, a good sinkful of water could find its way back into the machine.
John :)

Thanks for the advice. I'll hook up the dishwasher waste and try and seal the main sink watse. It does say in the instruction to use a flat blade screwdriver to do up the plug hole but the gap is really wide and the notches are really small, all the big flat screwdrivers I have are too big to fit in the notches. Still good excuse to buy more tools!!

Oh, it's one of those :LOL:

Have you tried a pair of long-nosed pliers, opened enough to allow the nose section to go into opposite sides of the diameter, it you know what I mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back