No pilot light, no central heating - boiler makes noise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) It's a Gas boiler, a Glow Worm Fuelsaver F

2) Central heating not coming on, no pilot light on the thermostat unit and it's making a loud humming noise - hot water seems to work ok but I have turned the thermostat off to be safe.

3) As far as I am aware nothing has been done or changed recently.

4) Must have started last night (see my story below) but I noticed this morning.

Hey guys. I am clueless about plumbing and central heating, but my father as away until tomorrow evening. So here is my problem

Last night I heard rather funny 'rumbling' noise. Wasn't really sure what it was, but it stopped after about 10-15 seconds. I noticed the house got a little cold last night even though I had the heating on constant. When I went to bed I could hear a really loud humming noise. I turned the central heating down one notch remembering that I had it on constant. The noise stopped.

This morning the noise came back. I knew something was up, so I put the heating on constant, waited a little while and checked the radiators, not working; checked the hot water, that worked. So to get rid of the noise I turned the heating off completely (it's been a nice day after all).

But the noise came back! So I checked the thermostat, pilot light wasn't on and I also realised it's the thermostat unit that is making the the loud humming noise. I've turned the themrostat off to get rid of the noise and because I'm afraid gas may be leaking if it isn't being burnt.

So any ideas? Is it something simple?

Thanks in advance guys. :D

Sponsored Links
I would think the loud humming noise is the fan stuck. Pilot won't ignite until fan is proved (if i've got the right model in my head :rolleyes: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back