No power to boiler :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :D

I have a Glow Worm Compact 80E that this morning has lost power. Normally there are three lights on. Today the display still shows the time and program but it will not switch on.

Prior to completely dying, the water has been a little cold and I have been forced to use low flow to get heat but it was usable.

Do the nice forumers have any ideas what could be up? I have asked the plumber to come today....sounds expensive

Sponsored Links
Make sure your "plumber" is registered and repairs boilers for a living...most in the gas trade don't.

These boilers are simple to understand but access to some of the parts and obtaining some of the seals is nigh on impossible.

Problem could be just an old fuse has blown but more likely something has taken it out or the pcbs fried.

The fact that the water doesn't get so hot is a classic pcb fault.

These models are dogs...normally leak like sieves especially around the hot water flow switch area (parts around £70). Pcbs around £200, Fans and pumps £150 plus. Typical Glowworm rip off spares prices.

Could be an expensive repair.

Pcb is not a diy job if it ends up being that as the pcb controls gas pressures!

Sponsored Links
Hello :D

Do the nice forumers have any ideas what could be up? I have asked the plumber to come today....sounds expensive

That was yesterday!

Did he come?

What did he think was the problem?

Did he fix it?

Tony

So update for you :)

3 plumbers came:

1) Feels that PCB probably at fault along with something else - recommended new boiler
2) No idea
3) Knwe what the problem was. Had replacement PCD in the back of van. £160 for parts and labour

Have water!

How did it come to pass that THREE plumbers came?

Ignoring the "don't know" didn't the first one expect to get paid for diagnosing the fault? ( Although suggesting a new boiler would perhaps disqualify him from getting paid for a diagnosis ).

Tony

So three made a visit and only one got paid! Three hours work done and only one was paid ( for his hour! ).

I am glad that I always charge for diagnosing faults!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back