No room for wiring a run of integrated appliances.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On one wall we will have three base units each containing an appliance, so I'm unsure where to place the electrics as there are no free base cupboards for sockets.

The run will be: Fridge/freezer | Cooker & induction hob (integrated microwave above) | fridge/freezer.

Fridge/freezers
The kitchen will be Ikea so there is a little extra depth to the appliance space (no carcass, 600mm deep), so with a standard depth of about 550mm there should be room for a socket and standard plug behind each fridge/freezer.
  1. Does that sound like the best approach, or would you say otherwise?
  2. Where should the socket go behind the appliance? floor level?
  3. If that's our best option, then would an worktop FCU/isolation switch for each be necessary?
  4. If so, could switches/FCU's be placed in upper cabinets?
To the left of this run is an under-stairs cupboard containing the fuse box, so it's very close for isolation, but additionally, I thought another option could be to place the sockets here and just drill a hole approx 5x5cm through the wall to feed the plugs through.

Cooker/ induction Hob
The induction hob is going to require a lot of juice so will need a special supply, and the cooker will require another socket. I guess the electrician will place a connection behind the oven with an isolation switch at worktop height.
  1. Does that sound right?
  2. Could the isolation switch go in an upper cabinet, or does that defeat the point? Ease of accessibility and all.
Microwave
A standard switched socket in an adjacent upper cabinet should be sufficient right?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 16.16.00.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 16.16.00.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 292
Sponsored Links
All the things you ask are personal choice so up to you and your electrician.

Thanks, that's reassuring, I realise that the regs aren't concrete on this.

Do you think I could ditch countertop FCUs/switches for the fridges? They have to be left on anyway, and in an emergency the fuse box is within a few feet.

Sponsored Links
Doing my kitchen at the moment and have integrated fridge into a flex plate.

Certainly not FCUs as the appliance plugs already have fuses.
Appliance fuses blow, on average, never, so there is negligible problems caused by using an FCU as well as a fused plug.

The socket and fused plug is extremely convenient when you want to install, remove, swap an appliance, or take it out to clean behind. You don't even need a screwdriver

when a plug fuse goes.

And how often in your lifetime do you expect that to be? If it ever does, will it be because the appliance has a fault and need to be taken out for repair (or to be scrapped)?

There's no law requiring sockets be be inaccessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back