No signal to Sky box with extended coax.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to temporarily move the Sky box to another room so I connected 5m of coax that I had left over from installing a Freeview aerial last year. It's white with copper insulation and is printed with TV Aerial 75ohm batch 08/2012 +93m. Only trouble is the Sky box is now saying it's not getting a signal.

Could I have used the wrong cable? I bought the connectors this morning and they look ok. The original run was 6m so this takes it to 11m. Is it just a bad idea to break the run with connectors? The Sky box works when it's back to its original position. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Post picture of how you terminated (made up) the coax connectors. Sounds like your cable ends are the fault.

Well I took the connector apart to take a photo and some of the threads were pushed through the clamp. Sorted that and it now works. So thanks Jackrae for the tip and saving me from derision by all the pros on here! :oops:

Sponsored Links
Claw then. Not the F connectors, but the extension connector. Thanks.

I assumed you were discussing extending the LNB cable, in which case you must use F plugs. ordinary TV plugs were designed for medium wave radio and are barely adequate for modern UHF TV. They mustn't be used for the high frequency LNB connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back