no sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi pc is asrock mb, on board sound, running vista premium 64bit. well can you work this out i unpluged the speaker plug the other night to use in another pc , pluged back in today no sound . ive tried headphones to no sound why?onboard sound shouldnt just fail should it ?. i thought perhaps driver problem so i used the realtek driver software got with mb and setup that . that was big mistake before i was using vista drivers sound worked fine until i unpluged . any way i loaded realtek drivers from mb disk and it loaded loads of other crap too one program called skytel and i couldnt disable it in win defender. so i tried uninstall and it left lots programs running so in the end done system restore and they all went . so do you think its onboard sound gone wrong? i noticed windows has done some updates too could these be sound problem?.

Sponsored Links
I haven't played with Vista much but assuming it's the same as XP...

Right click 'My Computer' go to properties & select the hardware tab then click on Device Manager button.

Have you got any items listed with a little yellow exclamation mark next to them?

I've never known onboard sound fail suddenly, and although MS automatically role out security updates I don't think they 'automatically' roll out driver updates, they have to be selected manually (please correct me if I'm worng anyone).

I think when you restored it should have rolled back the driver. If there are any excalmation marks as mentioned above there is an incorrect installation of the driver. My advice would be to go to the manufacturers website for your motherboard and download latest vista driver from there (without skytel etc. just basic driver). Let me know how you get on!

hi there thanks for the reply yes i looked in device manager straight away and couldnt see ay problems in there. its strange all i did is pull out speaker plug which goes to monitor and pluged it back in and no sound .and i tried the headphones i have to which i know work and still no sound so it must be onboard sound . the mb is only a few months old so i doubt the sound wil have give up that quick. i just cant figure it out

Have you pushed the plug in all the way i have been caught out by this also on some cards there are two outputs that look the same but only one will be set up to output.You can restore windows to a time when it all worked correctly if you suspect a driver problem, data will not be lost.

Sponsored Links
hi yes plug is pushed in all the way and is in the wright hole lol there is 6 holes to choose from using rear speaker one

i tried system restore to when it worked no luck either so i undid the restore bit perhaps the onboard sound has given up but very strange if it has mb is only few months old

suffolklad said:
hi yes plug is pushed in all the way and is in the wright hole lol there is 6 holes to choose from using rear speaker one
Theres your problem. Do you have rear speakers?

Right click speaker symbol (by clock)click playback devices click speakers then configure click stereo put plug in correct socket click speakers to test.

guess what i got it to work but in a different socket one that says front speaker i had it in socket that says rear speaker before . i tried them all the other night so why its working now i dont know but hey problem solved .igorian it was your post that made me think i better try all sockets again any way thanks all

so can some one explain why there are front rear and side speaker sockets surely which ever socket you plug a speaker in it will work? i take it they are for sorround sound ?

You'll probably need to specify a surround speaker system in the sound settings for it to use those other outputs, plus you'll need to be playing back a multichannel sound file, like in a game or on a DVD.

Sponsored Links
Back