problem with scanner on LPT1 help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am giving my father my old Medion PC and Colorado Promax 9600 scanner which has no USB ( just has parallel connection). The PC has Xp Home on it and a facility for restoring the PC back to the way it was when I first bought it, which I have used on very rare occasions to get past any nightmares. This feature works fine and since this PC is going to be used by someone else I have used this feature and then set everything up nicely for my father to use, so that he does not have any of my stuff on it.

Everything has been fine with this PC and the scanner was used on this machine before right up until I recently swapped to a new PC which cannot take parallel devices with its current connections and has Vista anyway so I dont want to go there really, trying to use this scanner on Vista. Anyway I am pretty sure the PC has no problem but that the problem lies with getting the scanner and the PC to get on, as I remember long ago that I had this problem and eventually sorted it out but cant remember how I did it.

I have looked for new drivers but I know it should work as it did before without new drivers. I have looked on my new PC (kept all old downloads etc) and the cd for the scanner, and the driver for the scanner on the cd says win95 and I notice that I have winxp driver I downloaded once so I may have used that to get it going, but I have tried both with no luck. New drivers are for a USB version of the 9600 so they are no good.

I dont want to buy a new scanner as it is pointless, I am giving him the PC and the scanner was a bonus for him as he will occasionaly use it, so we just want to get it working agin.

I have read loads and been into the bios, but there are no settings I can touch for LPT1 port or any port, I searched thoroughly.

So anyone any idea how to check the port is set correct or kick the scanner into life (yes it is on and has a light up to show that)?

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Click start/control panel/system/hardware/device manager.

Find your scanner, it should be listed, right click and ask it to update your driver.Hopefully this should work.

Cheers trazor yes already tried that but it does not appear on the Device manger list and I do not get any yellow exclamation triangle thingys either, any clues here?

Also I have checked Ports in the Device manager and where it has (COM & LPT), I expand and get

Communications Port (COM1) and
ECP Printer Port (LPT1).

I double clicked on the LPT1 one and it says this device is working properly.

So what is next, please say you know what to try next as I am stumped. I can't remember if it used to appear on the Device manager but I would have thought it should even if it is a Parallel connection, but not sure about this.

I have tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and uninstalling and reinstalling before plugging in but I think you only worry about that with USB not parallel or am I wrong there?

Also dont know if it helps but this scanner has a second connection for when you route it through the printer or vice versa cant remember now but I have never used it like that and the connections are male and female so you can't accidently use the wrong one.

Another thing I noticed is the software that came with it (MGI photosuite) seems to see it as a source but when you select to scan I get scanner not found, Please check the following

(1) LPT port(SPP?EPP) is enabled
(2) Power adaptor is plugged into the scanner connector
(3) Parallel port cable is plugged into the LPT port.

UPDATE UPDATE

Didn't want to post this on the end and waste peoples time by reading it as a new post so put it here instead

Found power supply is working but it should be giving 12V out and is giving 2.5V, so tried another power supply and it worked (same voltage obviously).

Sponsored Links
Back