No Trap on Washing Machine Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Just taken out an old washer to find that the standpipe waste is just connected into T-fitting onto a horizontal waste pipe. The waste pipe just goes through the wall and discharges over an open gully drain (no soil connection etc). There are two sinks (cloakroom hand basin & utility) that discharge via traps into the same pipe.

Never had any problems with smell or poor flow. Pipe config is going to prevent me fitting an s-trap. Suppose I could use one of those Hepworth vertical 40mm air admittance things I've read about…but if it ain’t broken don’t fix it etc.

Do I really need a trap if there is no way for foul gases etc to back up the pipe?

May thanks
Philip

Sponsored Links
although a trap is always preferable you can do it without

get a connector for the washing machine hose
Graham's part no. PBMCT229 Mcalpine straight WM nozzle this and a 40mm straight compression fitting or 40/32 compression reducer if 32 mm pipe will give you a sealed pipe entry

Unless your open gully gets really smelly then there is no smell to travel back up.

I would go with the if it isn't broke don't fix it :)

Sponsored Links
Them purpose made washing machine tees usually have a non return device in them.
Apart from that you usually find that after the pump has stopped working at the end of a cycle theres always a little bit of water that runs back down the pipe and forms a trap seal after or at the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back