No water in pump!

Sponsored Links
Yes more than likely and back filling with hose stirring up all the crud in the bottom of the fill and expansion tank, :eek: now we are getting somewhere.

Time to drain the whole thing again tomorrow and clean the crud out. :D

I connected a hosepipe to the other pipe (either flow or return) , that seemed to help the radiators warm up a bit.
I then drained the system and left it with water running through for an hour.
Refilled, and it's not doing anything again!

I think I'll call someone out on monday.

Thanks for your help :)

Sponsored Links
Nope, it was pushing air out with force when it was off, a screwdriver via the bleed screw didn't affect it's movement either!

Do you mean 'nope' to WDIK's question? Without splitting the pump head from the body you wont tell if the impellor has detached. Came across a situation once, spent half the day scratching out heads wondering why it wouldnt work.... Pump appeared to be working, but rads wouldnt get hot.

Swapped pump on offchance, as we'd run out of ideas by that time, problem solved. Split pump we'd just removed, motor running fine, just wasnt turning the impellor......

FWIW as far as I know the system with the dodgy pump I mentioned was working ok prior to being drained. It was a bungalow, owned by a charity, let to older folks. It became vacant due to the occupier passing on, and being wintertime, the water pipes and heating were drained for obvious reasons.

However the decorator employed to give the place a spruce up pending new tenant being chosen, turned the water on 'to rinse out his brushes'... Obviously this also allowed the heating etc to partially refill. He reported to the trustee's the boiler had sprung a leak, and sheepishly admitted what he'd done..... We were asked to change the boiler, but then couldnt get heating to work, eventually found it was the pump, although whether this was coincidence or frost damage I dont know.

I got fed up with it in the end and called a man out to fix it.

He said the pump was working, but not working as well as it should, he also suggested a more powerful (15-60) pump because of the set-up.
He told me the best way to bleed my system too.

I changed the pump (Wilo Gold RS60, any good?) and bled it, according to how he said and it's fine now.

So, you were pretty much right!

Thanks.

Why not?

Logetivity?
Power?
Noise?
Colour?

It cost £45 I think and the Grundfos was £85, and I prefer the colour.
I saw a cheap one for £30!

The old Grundfos is going in the workshop to pump water from the waterbutt to the sink (hopefully).

i would bet a cyber pint, that there is not too many installers who would fit a Wilo rather than a Grundfoss

dont like the answer, dont ask the question

as for you prefer the colour???

maybe this is the wrong forum for ya, Petal ;)

No idea.

He didn't really seem to want to fit it anyway.
But he said they are much better value for money!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back